• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been looking for a big Merwin for years but they were always expensive, this dog eared specimen got into my price range so I picked it up. Cleaned up the rust to get back to worn nickel and steel, it has some spring issues, but an internal cleaning got those up to where I could safely shoot it. I'll make some new springs later to bring it up to scratch. Loaded with some 200 grain straight lead BP 44-40s it produced a decent group shooting with both hands at 15 yards, but it does have a really hard trigger pull both SA and DA. The pearl grips have no chips and the bore is excellent, so I'll need to scare up another nice period holster to go with this.

For those unfamiliar with Merwin operation, they all work the same way. Load through the gate on the right side just like a Colt SAA, to eject you push the retaining latch towards the trigger and twist the barrel 1/4 turn. All the empties just drop out. The barrel and cylinder are easily removed and interchangeable barrel lengths were a feature rather new for the time, sort of like the Automag of it's day.

mw1.jpg mw2.jpg

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've always liked the look of those guns, seemed very steam lined for the time period, Good to see it is still shootable! More pictures please!! Neat how the top strap locks into the rear of the frame.

Top Bottom