• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Going hunting with another INGO member on my birthday (November 15th). Where is the best one-stop shop for hunting clothing and what items (e.g., overalls, jackets, gloves, boots, under armor, etc.) would you recommend for winter comfort?

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    Going hunting with another INGO member on my birthday (November 15th). Where is the best one-stop shop for hunting clothing and what items (e.g., overalls, jackets, gloves, boots, under armor, etc.) would you recommend for winter comfort?

Gander Mtn...

Don't really like the place but they do have a pretty decent selection. The two Dick's stores by me are useless for that stuff.

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    Bass Pro is where I normally go,but the prices are high for all the nifty high speed hunting gear,although they have quite a few good warm boots.I picked up a pair last year with 600grams of insulation and only paid $49 for them.2 pairs of socks and my feet stay toasty and the boots are very comfortable.
    I picked up my insulated bibs a few years back brand new off ebay for $30.I normally just wear 2 sets of thermal pant and a set of polypro bottoms.Up top I wear 2 thermal shirts,1 feece shirt and a hunting vest I picked up a few years back from Wal-Mart for $15.Gloves I use lightweight windproof camo gloves and keep my hand inside a camo hand muffler kinda like this one RedHead® Camo Fleece Hand Muff | Bass Pro Shops

If the weather is going to be bitterly cold I swap out my vest for a jacket and add an extra set of thermal tops&bottoms.
    I don't mind the cold and winter is my favorite time of year,but I still don't like setting in a stand being cold,but using this set-up I normally stay comfortable even hunting all day straight.A few weeks back I bought a set of Rocky heavyweight thermals and man oh man are they comfy and warm.Cost around $17 at wally world.Very impressed with them for the price,they even have some scent block thing built in.Sure beats paying $60 for under armour ones.
    It all comes down to how well you handle the cold and just remember to layer layer layer! The longer the hunt the more clothing you will want.It's no fun to be cold in your stand after 2 hours and nothing drains you faster then frozen toes and fingers.
    There is no need to spend $800 on gear to stay warm in if you use your head and don't buy into the latest and greatest.

Good luck on your hunt.I hope you kill a monster

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!

Go to a TSC (tractor supply) or a big R or a Ranch King, they will have every thing that you need and at better prices, Hope this helps! :D

PS. Happy Birthaday!! Mine is on the 13th!:rockwoot:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Even though I've gotten some stuff at Gander Mountain in the past, you honestly don't need anything fancy or expensive. I've known plenty of people that consistently put meat in their freezers without owning any camo and I know plenty that buy their gear at Walmart simply because it is cheap. It works perfectly fine just as TSC or Big R would (and the Big R closest to me has a pretty nice handgun selection that keeps me drooling over a S&W .500 so that is even more reason to go in).

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I picked up my current set of coveralls at Rural King. I know I paid a lot less for them there versus similiar styles at different retailers. Pants, shirts, gloves and balaclavas; all Wally World. My boots did come from the Gander (had $50 in gift certificates).

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    All of the places mentioned above will have the gear (clothing) that you need. The thing to remember is that you will not know what the conditions (temps) are going to be. I would recommend buying clothing that you can layer...more layers if it is cold and less layers if it is warm. I have seen the temps from 20 degrees to as high as 70+ during the first week of firearms season. If you are going to error on one side or the other, buy more for cold weather conditions, I'd rather be on the warm side than freezing my butt off.:twocents:

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I also depends on what type of hunting you will be doing. Tree stand (sitting for long periods) requires more clothing it is cold and windy. If you are walking around bird or bunny hunting you will want layers that you can take off as you warm up. Like Bradsknives said it could be 20 or 70 that day. Dick's had all their field and stream clothing on sale and it is decent for the sale price. If you want clothing that will last forever then I would consider ordering Cabela's branded clothing. It isn't cheap, but everything that I have from them is great quality. Gander has a really good selection right now as mentioned above so you definitely get everything needed in on stop. They even have a few things on sale right now too. Good luck and enjoy it.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I'd say if your looking for a fun day and have time a trip to bass pro in Clarksville is your best bet. While noy the cheepest on everything, their Redhead brand of clothing is priced well and works well. I have hunted the last 4 years using their redhead silent-hide bibs and coat as well as a fleece and never been cold. I think the bibs and coat run 49.99 a piece. You can also find 1000 gram boots for sometimes 49.99.

You will blow money on gas so if your not going to browse then it might make more sense to go to to gander. Second place I would go local would be a wally world. The one in places like Franklin, Mooresville have bigger hunting departments and carry remington brand clothing.

Brad is right...weather can be tricky. 3 years ago it was around 65 degrees. I have a pic in a long sleeve shirt. Taylor71 is also right, if your going to be walking around, spotting and walking you will sweat in cold weather gear. In the stand you will need to dress warmer.

You could plan for both by doing bibs with base layer and jeans. If it warms up I can usually deal with being warmer on my legs. Then do a base layer, camo sweatshirt (wally world $15) and a jacket. If it get too hot remove jacket...will prob stay cool enough for sweatshirt.

For me, socks and head are the most important. If my feet get cold I am miserable. I invested in some Smartwool hunting socks and was the best 20.00 I spent. I also get cold if I dont have a fleece mask on when its cold.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    i would go naked man. it is cheaper and imagine the stories you could tell if you shot a deer naked.

o just thought of it it is a birthday hunt so you have to go in your birthday suit.

Last edited:

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Go to a TSC (tractor supply) or a big R or a Ranch King, they will have every thing that you need and at better prices, Hope this helps! :D

PS. Happy Birthaday!! Mine is on the 13th!:rockwoot:
    +1 I got a pair of Carhart camo bibs and a a camo Carhart coat for under $100 at Rural King. They have a sale section and if you keep your eye out you can find some great deals plus they have house brands in camo which most of the time are very reasonably priced and in my experiance good quality.

Top Bottom