• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    You might see if you can find a guy to move it. They probably wouldn't charge much. I watched our mover move my safe and they have it down on how to handle heavy loads.

You can also look into one of those "walking stairs" dollies. I think you can rent them. The basically walk the load down the stairs under control.

I would be careful about sliding something that heavy down the stairs unless you have a lot of strong help!:)

I checked around and folks want $200+ to move it. I will have 4 maybe 5 guys plus the dolly. I will check to see if i can find the walking dolly.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I checked around and folks want $200+ to move it. I will have 4 maybe 5 guys plus the dolly. I will check to see if i can find the walking dolly.

Wow, that's a lot. You can do it. Just get help. You might find something that has some grip to lay on the stairs, but enough slide to let it move.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    Today is Black Friday. I have a couple more places to check out but I think I am going to TSC and purchase the Winchester 24 gun they have for $549.

It's not a Johnson quality safe for sure but it is plenty big enough for my collection. Unless I am misunderstanding something I would have to spend at least 2X and more likely 3X the $$$ to step up to a real difference in quality. I know I could spend a little more and get a bigger safe not a "better" safe.

There were others going to buy a safe this weekend. I am just wondering what you decided and why?

One thing I realized was adding the delivery cost to the price makes a difference which is something I have to do. TSC has a contracted price of $185 to move and install. I was checking around locally with movers and getting prices of $250-$300. And I am talking about bringing it 3 miles from the store, unloading it and dolly it from driveway around back (no steps) and in the family room door. The $300 dollar guy lives 5 blocks from me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How the question is how will I get the 500+ lb safe from the driveway, down the steps to the basement of a non-walkout house? I am going to rent a appliance dolly. Trying to decide if I should use the dolly to go down the steps or place the safe on its side and SLOWLY slide it down.

Basements come in two types. Those that have flooded and those that will flood.

Just something to consider.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Today is Black Friday. I have a couple more places to check out but I think I am going to TSC and purchase the Winchester 24 gun they have for $549.

It's not a Johnson quality safe for sure but it is plenty big enough for my collection. Unless I am misunderstanding something I would have to spend at least 2X and more likely 3X the $$$ to step up to a real difference in quality. I know I could spend a little more and get a bigger safe not a "better" safe.

There were others going to buy a safe this weekend. I am just wondering what you decided and why?

One thing I realized was adding the delivery cost to the price makes a difference which is something I have to do. TSC has a contracted price of $185 to move and install. I was checking around locally with movers and getting prices of $250-$300. And I am talking about bringing it 3 miles from the store, unloading it and dolly it from driveway around back (no steps) and in the family room door. The $300 dollar guy lives 5 blocks from me.

I bought the Winchester safe and put it in its place on Wednesday. It was not terrible. It look 4 guys, an appliance dolly from Home Depot and 45 mins to get the safe from the truck to where I wanted it. I am glad that I did not pay someone $300 to deliver it but I don't know if I would want to one any larger.

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I also bought the menards safe from the kokomo store. Got in line at 5:50 and was on the highway at 6:26 with the safe loaded in the back of my suv. Best black friday ever. I know its not the best safe in the world but when i do get the best safe this one will still be nice for ammo and other oddities

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    One should also consider the future as well, and not just firearms. Do you believe you will be acquiring wealth to the point where you might decide to get say $5,000 in gold or silver as a hedge against inflation/currency issues? Do you want to have $1,000-$2,000 in emergency cash in a safe just in case? What about things you treasure from family that might not even be worth much in value, but could be 80-100+ years old and they have a history to them? Will you be receiving such items in the future? I definitely could use a lower end safe, but mostly because I pay $32/month now for an alarm system. That combined with a safe will likely keep me safe. However, others can't/won't spend that monthly amount for monitoring, and if you are one of those, I would seriously try your best to consider upgrading to a mid-line model if at all possible. Also with regards to security, as others stated before, bolt the thing down. If you don't want to bolt into your hardwood floor, get some good plywood or something, cut to fit the area (usually closet is best) and screw both pieces together. Then the safe goes on the wood pieces and is bolted into them. While plywood pieces in the closet aren't screwed to the house flooring, it is very difficult to tip the safe for a pry attack. Also, most of the pry attack videos show the corners as weak points. There are some brands that offer corner bolts, which I believe would be useful. Fort Knox brand offers these.

star-corner-bolt.jpg

Looks real secure with that little tab of sheet metal holding them in place. That safe also has a composite door which is thin steel wrapped around fireboard. It is a Fort Knox, so maybe it has a plate in there somewhere.

Top Bottom