• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I'm thinking about giving my bow a try this Turkey Season. It's outdated, but it's a martin Achery Cougar 2000. I have it at about 60lb draw, and it's sighted in at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I just started shooting around November of 2011. I've been looking around blinds to get, and I was wondering what you all recommend for under $150, that will cover me. I need something that I can shoot arrows though obviously, but I don't know jack squat when it comes to bow hunting turkey. What arrow tips do you all use for Turkey? I was looking at the guillotine broadheads, but are they really necessary?

Any help is greatly appreciated!:rockwoot:

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    Look at Kill Zone blinds . I have had mine for the past 3 yaers and it has held up great. I paid 100.00 and free shipping. They are hub style blinds and pleanty of room. killzone.com

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I had a gentleman tell me that decoy setup for bowhunting turkey is different than for gun hunting. He said to set the decoy facing you, so when the gobbler faced it (his back to you) and fanned out, he couldn't see past his fan, and you could draw on him more easily. It made sense to me, and he had a dead gobbler in the bed of the truck when he told me. I have never turkey hunted, but think I would like to try it sometime.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Thank you all for your help. those Killzone blinds look great, and the price isn't bad at all. I may just have to get one.

I've gun hunted Turkey before, but I feel like a bow would be an even greater challenge. The gobbler's are out and about everywhere down here where I live, so I'm hoping they will stay out for 3 more weeks until season starts. It'll be a good one!

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Second the motion on the KillZone. Good blind at that price.

Use a good large mechanical for turkeys. I like NAP Spitfires. I do not shoot through the mesh. Just open the window enough to shoot through..Wear black, including facemask and gloves..

Good luck..

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Just out of curiosity, do you go for a headshot, or a bodyshot? I know a headshot is much much harder to hit, but it would be a clean instant kill. What do you prefer doing?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Body shots only for me. The constantly moving small head is a tough target. It is also possible to just wound the bird with a head shot. When I get on my PC instead of the iPhone I'll post some shot placement pics..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    If you use two decoys (a hen and a jake) place the jake facing your blind. The gobbler will come in and ignore the hen until he whoops the jake. He will walk around to the front of the jake and his back will be to you.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    dont buy a blind until you check out the Yukon Tracks Enforcer Elites

big enough for two plus gear, tall enough to shoot trad bows out of

got mine delivered for about 150

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Really any pop up blind will work for turkey hunting so long as it is big enough for you to maneuver as needed and is black on the inside. If you are bow hunting, make sure it is big enough for you to come to full draw. Most all of the 5 hub style blinds will be big enough. Pick the one that has the features you want and fits your budget. Personally, I own a couple Double Bull Dark Horse blinds, because I feel that they offer the best features that I want in a blind. But really, they all will work.

As to where to aim with a bow ... body shots, aim high and watch them die, aim low and watch them go. That is the phrase to remember. Pick a big mechanical head.

But I'd encourage you to think about head/neck shots. The head/neck offers a much larger ... about 1.75 times larger ... kill zone in terms of area. The head/neck is the easiest target to identify in the woods/field. It is so clearly defined in terms of colors and no matter the body position, the head/neck is always in a killable position. Use a big head lopping broadhead and it is either kill or miss. Head lopping broadheads give you an extra 2" margin of error in all directions too. Body shots are just very difficult to pick the right spot because the point of aim is always changing as feather positions change and the bird moves around. It is just to easy to wound and lose a bird. Also, with head/neck shots there is NO wasted meat. I've actually seen a fellow hunter loose over 1/2 of the meat on a bird from a body shot where stomach matter entered the wound channel and the bird rotted from the inside out before we found the bird.

Guys say "but the head never stops moving". I say BS. Watch bow hunting videos of head shots. Put the bird in the decoys and let him settle down. He will hold his head still long enough for a shot as he studies his opposition.

Guys say "too small of a target". I say BS. Again it is about 1.75 times bigger kill zone than the body shot. It is the EASIEST shot to make in all bow hunting. Think of it this way. Your buddy throws a pop can on the ground 15 yards in front of you and says "I bet you $20 you can't hit it in one shot." 99% of us would laugh and go "You are on!" Then 99% of the time you'd center punch the pop can. A turkey's head/neck offers a bigger target than a pop can. It is an easy shot.

Shooting a turkey in the head/neck with a bow is a "head game", literally. But the game is in YOUR head. Make your mind up that you can do it and you can do it.

I bow hunt birds exclusively and have for several years with great success. If you have any questions or reservations about going for them with the bow, just ask. I will gladly share info from past experiences.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I just ordered the XL Hub blind. I put in the discount code they offered and got it for $97 shipped. Great deal!!

That is the one that I have and like it a lot.

Do set it up in the back yard and seal all your seams, including all stitching. I used a seam sealer by Coleman bought at Walmart.

Good luck...

Top Bottom