• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Please don't use zinc for sinkers. It's worse than lead on the fish.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have been lucky and have sourced a good bit of scrap lead at work. They use lead lined drywall in imaging areas to block the radiation. You can score some that way, but unfortunately it is pretty dirty, with glue and hunks of drywall paper stuck to it. Also, since it’s so thin, it has a lot of surface area to oxidize so you end up skimming a lot of it off.
    I use a cheap ducth oven from Wal mart and the base for a turkey frier to melt down the dirty stuff to make clean pure lead ingots. Then I can alloy it down. I shoot mostly 20:1 mix which works fine for my various .32’s, .38’s, and .45’s. For BPCR stuff, I’ll drop it to 40:1 so the molds fill out easier and it’s still fairly soft. I have a Lee aluminum ingot mold but when dipping out a lot of ingots, it heats up fast and take awhile to freeze the ingots. So, I made another mold out of part of an old bed frame. Cut four equal length pieces and tack welded them together. Then cut to more pieces to make end caps for each end. He’d frame angle iron is pretty thin so it cools down pretty quick between pours.

Top Bottom