• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    We are going to be back on the road in a month and I was wondering if anybody knew the rules regarding the Border Patrol checkpoints that are in places like Texas, Arizona, NM.

What are my obligations while going through them. Do I have to store my gun differently (this will be hard if not impossible to do)? I mean what do you do while driving on I 10, 20 down I 35, pull over on the side of the highway pull out mu gun put it in a case put it in the trunk, go through the check point go down the road and start carrying again?

Am i following the states law that I am in or is there different regs and does this become federal domain?

Do I need to inform them that I am legally carrying?

I am really concerned about this especially if we are traveling at night.

Any help with links or regs would be appreciated

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    While i was driving from San Diego, CA heading to Indy I had to stop at a border patrol checkpoint just passed Yuma, AZ. The agent just had the narc dog sniff my car real quick and he waved me through. 10 sec stop & that was it. they're just looking for drug traffickers & people that are transporting illegals. as long as you dont have either in the car, you'll be okie. i drove through NM & TX(no checkpoints in either) as far as concealed carrying goes, there are states that honor indianas LTCH, & some dont. just obey all the traffic laws & there shouldn't be a reason for you to get pulled over or searched. as far as transporting a gun between states, has to be in the trunk in a safe container(case & locked) unloaded(i think, not positive). one suggestion would be is checking the NRA website, they got all kinds of stuff on gun laws by state. another website is INTERSTATE DRIVING

Last edited:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    While i was driving from San Diego, CA heading to Indy I had to stop at a border patrol checkpoint just passed Yuma, AZ. The agent just had the narc dog sniff my car real quick and he waved me through. 10 sec stop & that was it. they're just looking for drug traffickers & people that are transporting illegals. as long as you dont have either in the car, you'll be okie. i drove through NM & TX(no checkpoints in either) as far as concealed carrying goes, there are states that honor indianas LTCH, & some dont. just obey all the traffic laws & there shouldn't be a reason for you to get pulled over or searched. as far as transporting a gun between states, has to be in the trunk in a safe container(case & locked) unloaded(i think, not positive). one suggestion would be is checking the NRA website, they got all kinds of stuff on gun laws by state. another website is INTERSTATE DRIVING
    Thanx I know the states reciprocity I was just wondering about federal jurisdiction. On a side not I think it is interesting that they use a dog to sniff which is a search but call it an indicator to allow a search.

The 4th amendment get around dogs

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    IANAL, but unless you are on federal property (Nat'l park, military reservation,etc) then state law is still supreme as far as you carrying a firearm.
    Again, IANAL, YMMV, etc.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    as far as transporting a gun between states, has to be in the trunk in a safe container(case & locked) unloaded(i think, not positive).

This is only applicable for transporting a gun through a state that doesn't recognize Indiana's LTCH. You must be travelling through the state & be legal where you start & in your destination state.

The gun must be unloaded & inaccessible from the passengers but not necessarily locked up (unless you don't have a trunk).

Here it is:

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or

regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any

person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from

transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to

transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he

may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place

where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during

such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the

firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible

or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such

transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle

without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the

firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container

other than the glove compartment or console.

Top Bottom