• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PA2Ind

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    St. Joseph Co.
    Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my questions. Firstly, as my name shows, I am new to Indiana. I `wanted to know can someone borrow a handgun, as long as they are lawfully allowed to posses it? My second question is: If I have my LTCH can I take someone to the range with me(they would be shooting), or do they need a LTCH too? I also wanted to know how soon after moving to indiana can I apply for a LTCH? Do I need a Indiana DL first? I know these must seem like basic questions, but thank you for your help.:)

Last edited:

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    yes you can borrow a gun, and there was some debate on the actual legality of people without LTCH shooting pistols at the range. Regardless of if it is technically illegal, no one really cares and you should be fine.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Straight from an Indiana DNR officer: "you must be in direct supervision if a person doesn't have a LTCH" In other words if you are in the same lane or bay you are fine. Don't take a walk around and leave a person without a Lic in complete and unsupervised control of a handgun. Retarded huh? I would love to do away with this unconstitutional BS.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my questions. Firstly, as my name shows, I am new to Indiana. I `wanted to know can someone borrow a handgun, as long as they are lawfully allowed to posses it? My second question is: If I have my LTCH can I take someone to the range with me(they would be shooting), or do they need a LTCH too? I also wanted to know how soon after moving to indiana can I apply for a LTCH? Do I need a Indiana DL first? I know these must seem like basic questions, but thank you for your help.:)

Welcome to INGO and have a great time.

As for allowing someone to borrow your pistol, there is no problem. The issue is the requirement to possess a LTCH at the range. Legally speaking I do believe that a person would be REQUIRED BY LAW to have a LTCH to shoot at a range.

INGunGuy

PA2Ind

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    St. Joseph Co.
    Thanks for the replies so far. I am very disapointed that you need a LTCH to shoot at the range. How are we to get new blood? I want to take my brother-in-law shooting for the first time, but he doesn't want to pay to get a LTCH. That is one more I KNOW I could add to our team if I could just get him to the range. Is there any action currently to change this law?

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Thanks for the replies so far. I am very disapointed that you need a LTCH to shoot at the range. How are we to get new blood? I want to take my brother-in-law shooting for the first time, but he doesn't want to pay to get a LTCH. That is one more I KNOW I could add to our team if I could just get him to the range. Is there any action currently to change this law?

Yes right now SB 0506 is in committee, this would allow transport to/from a range.

Here is a link to the text of the bill

Senate Bill 0506

INGunGuy

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    A) Yes, you can borrow, loan out a handgun. I have my uncle's in my safe.

B) No LTCH and a shooting range is a gray area. Some folks have been cited, and as others have pointed out, some LEOs believe they shouldn't in certain circumstances. You should have NO problems at a private range, especially if the LTCH-holder and owner of the firearm is standing next to the shooter.

C) You can apply for your LTCH as soon as you can prove you are a resident. A home address should work for that. I don't think changing your DL is necessary beforehand.

Welcome to Indiana and INGO!

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    In Indiana, a license to carry a Handgun (LTCH) is just that.
    A license to carry.
    Open or concealed, it doesn't matter.
    Handguns aren't registered in Indiana, so it's just a gun with no particular prescribed owner.
    The only way there would be any trouble is if someone has reported that serial number stolen.

That is of course, if you actually surrender you handgun which is another hot thread that's going on right now... :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You can rent a gun at some shooting range without having a LTCH so why would it be different if you bring your own gun to shoot?
    The LTCH is only needed to carry and transport the gun from a private property to another.
    If the range is private you shouldnt need a LTCH in order to shoot the gun, only to bring it from your home to the range.
    I agree with a previous post, if you have a LTCH and stay with the person you bring to the range while he shoots then you should be fine.
    If its a first time shooter I wouldnt go away while he's shooting anyway.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

I take non-LTCH people to the range and let them shoot my handguns in my presence. No big deal.

I don't believe there has ever been a case of someone facing charges for doing this anywhere in Indiana.

It will be OK. ;)

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    You can rent a gun at some shooting range without having a LTCH so why would it be different if you bring your own gun to shoot?
    The LTCH is only needed to carry and transport the gun from a private property to another.
    If the range is private you shouldnt need a LTCH in order to shoot the gun, only to bring it from your home to the range.
    I agree with a previous post, if you have a LTCH and stay with the person you bring to the range while he shoots then you should be fine.
    If its a first time shooter I wouldnt go away while he's shooting anyway.

I agree with what ATM said above (I've done it myself, was checked by a CO & survived unscathed) but I also don't want you (or anyone else who reads your post) to go into this blindly & not know what the laws says & what it really COULD mean.

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.
    (b)...

Note the emphasis.

You are not covered by being on someone ELSE'S property, just YOUR OWN property. There are only 3 exceptions to this (for us regular people)but there is no exception for shooting ranges, your buddy's farm or your parents backyard, etc.

Again, will you be arrested for it? Highly unlikely, but just be aware what the law says & be prepared to POSSIBLY face those consequences.

Top Bottom