• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Mine was not that happy a story. Wife and I had not worked out any age and she was too nervous to work one out. That's ok.

But then one day I had traded in a gun I did not like and was sitting on a $90 credit I needed to use up. My older daughter was always asking about the pink rifle at the store and that day it was on sale at $90 out the door. My daughter was with me and giving me those big goggly eyes, so...

30 minutes later I am holding a cardboard box and all I have to do is get it in the safe without spousal discussion. I get the door open, the kids rush past me and in the house, I get one foot over the threshold, and the I see my wife is at her computer with her back turned to me.

Mission impossible just became possible, except....

As I lifted my rear foot to compete entry, my daughter yells "Hey, Ima! Guess what Abba bought for me? A Pink Rifle!"

I froze and in that instant my wife's head pivoted 180 degrees like a screech owl, or a woman possessed by a calderian demon, and her eyes locked onto mine full of rage.

The only words I could muster were a weak, "Kids, go upstairs..."

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    You should tell him not to sell it and stick it away for grandkids someday. Or maybe tell him you all are going to buy it from him if he needs a little pocket money...lol... That way the family "heirloom" gets passed down again ;-)...
    Since I sold a great deal of my firearms from my younger days when I was with my first wife I have vowed never again to sell a firearm for any reason. If I still had all of those beautiful firearms the walk in closet I have with my current( and final) wife would not be large enough... Ahhhhh hindsight!!!
    ^^^^ This!!^^^

almost exactly what i was thinking.

Mine was not that happy a story. Wife and I had not worked out any age and she was too nervous to work one out. That's ok.

But then one day I had traded in a gun I did not like and was sitting on a $90 credit I needed to use up. My older daughter was always asking about the pink rifle at the store and that day it was on sale at $90 out the door. My daughter was with me and giving me those big goggly eyes, so...

30 minutes later I am holding a cardboard box and all I have to do is get it in the safe without spousal discussion. I get the door open, the kids rush past me and in the house, I get one foot over the threshold, and the I see my wife is at her computer with her back turned to me.

Mission impossible just became possible, except....

As I lifted my rear foot to compete entry, my daughter yells "Hey, Ima! Guess what Abba bought for me? A Pink Rifle!"

I froze and in that instant my wife's head pivoted 180 degrees like a screech owl, or a woman possessed by a calderian demon, and her eyes locked onto mine full of rage.

Tell me she (wifey) is a shooter now!!!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

That's a great story. Hopefully she calmed down and saw it as a dad's attempt to bond with his daughter.

I asked my wife yesterday if I could buy him a rifle. "NO" was the immediate answer until I explained what it was. Then she was cool with it.

Here's my son with my dad today.

5D3E0472-DC06-4CE0-ABEB-8A01BA81A603-4960-0000027C177DCA1D.jpg

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    What is a "Cricket". Also, there wsa another gun mentioned too. What are they?

I have a 7 yr old daughter who wants a Pink .22 they have at Walmart(local pawn shop has them too). I've looked at them but didn't pay much attention other than knowing I'd buy my daughter one at some point.

Are the crickets little single shot bolt action .22's...?

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    What is a "Cricket". Also, there wsa another gun mentioned too. What are they?

I have a 7 yr old daughter who wants a Pink .22 they have at Walmart(local pawn shop has them too). I've looked at them but didn't pay much attention other than knowing I'd buy my daughter one at some point.

Are the crickets little single shot bolt action .22's...?
    yes

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Tell me she (wifey) is a shooter now!!!

While she is not a regular shooter, we do take the occational lunch date at the range. And the cricket is often along for the ride.

8394288192_b75a6051d4.jpg

What is a cricket?

It is a single shot rifle for little kids that is an ergonomic nightmare but which also turns out to be extremely accurate and a ton of fun to be goofy with, including threading for suppressors, adding on steel buttplates to teach kids the fine art of smashing melons without bullets, and the obvious addition (some day soon I hope) of adding a bayonet lug so that it can feel as mean as any EBR.

Mostly though, the cricket is a tiny, weighs nothing rifle that is surprising fun for kids and parents alike.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I have an older version of the Cricket, its called a Chipmunk. My 4 boys all learned to shoot with it, and I've already had 5 of the Grand kids shooting it. The look on their faces after that first shot is priceless!

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Looked at one at the local pawn shop today. 138 bucks. I'll pick one up probably for my Daughters bday. I bought a couple hundred rounds of .22 shorts today for taking her out the first time.

Only thing I didn't like was the cheap feeling plastic stock. Would like to see maybe a pinkish tinged laminated wood stock or something. It is the perfect little rifle, though for my daughter.

tdkahn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I got a Rossi .22/410 combo of INGO member for my girl. She's 8 and loves shooting .22, but the 410 had little too much kick for her.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    While she is not a regular shooter, we do take the occational lunch date at the range. And the cricket is often along for the ride.

8394288192_b75a6051d4.jpg

What is a cricket?

It is a single shot rifle for little kids that is an ergonomic nightmare but which also turns out to be extremely accurate and a ton of fun to be goofy with, including threading for suppressors, adding on steel buttplates to teach kids the fine art of smashing melons without bullets, and the obvious addition (some day soon I hope) of adding a bayonet lug so that it can feel as mean as any EBR.

Mostly though, the cricket is a tiny, weighs nothing rifle that is surprising fun for kids and parents alike.

I still get a chuckle out of seeing a HP scope and a can on a crickett.

Looked at one at the local pawn shop today. 138 bucks. I'll pick one up probably for my Daughters bday. I bought a couple hundred rounds of .22 shorts today for taking her out the first time.

Only thing I didn't like was the cheap feeling plastic stock. Would like to see maybe a pinkish tinged laminated wood stock or something. It is the perfect little rifle, though for my daughter.

Look on the website. Linky posted above...they make one with pink hued wood furniture.

FMJ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Fort Waste
    That's a great story. Hopefully she calmed down and saw it as a dad's attempt to bond with his daughter.

I asked my wife yesterday if I could buy him a rifle. "NO" was the immediate answer until I explained what it was. Then she was cool with it.

Here's my son with my dad today.

5D3E0472-DC06-4CE0-ABEB-8A01BA81A603-4960-0000027C177DCA1D.jpg

OHHH a lefty!!!

Good stuff!!!

Bikerdad61

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Sullivan
    Cricket is a great little starter rifle. My son had one it's been passed down to his son (my Grandson) and this summer the Grandson is moving up to a Henry Youth lever action .22. The sooner you start teaching them firearm safety and basic shooting skills the better off they will be. Both of mine started at 5 years old and firearms are a part of there life. They respect them, know what they are for and understand the responsibility of owning and handling a firearm.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm a terrible teacher. I should have started with iron sights and a smaller rifle, like a Cricket. So, my son will be visiting ATM at an Appleseed this summer.

DSC_0168.jpg

claybustr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    I have 3 Crickett rifles in the safe. I bought one for each of my kids and gave it to them on their 5th birthday. I'd love to think they will hand them down to their kids one day.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I love the cricket I bought for my granddaughters, and so do they.
    This is the older one last Summer when she got it.

Alexis%20Gun%20-%20Little%20Pic.jpg

Top Bottom