Bought a lathe... May need psychiatric help...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G3hkray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2015
    valparaiso
    Nice I got a SB heavy 10 a few years ago. New motor was only 250$. So easy and cheap to just put a new motor on instead of farting around with phase converters.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Dont hold me to it but i believe its this guy 2 2KW 220V Variable Frequency Drive Inverter VFD 3HP 10A | eBay.... i know i dont have the frequency knob on mine.... you might like to pick one up with that feature..... But understand you'll need to pick one thats suitable for your motor spec's and HP/Amp load

Was able to get some info from the motor plate last night. Upside down, with a mirror, reading backwards. It read... 3PH, Amps per line 220-3.3 440-1.7, 1HP, 1155 RPM. I'll get a pic today. Ordered the SB serial number card yesterday.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Was able to get some info from the motor plate last night. Upside down, with a mirror, reading backwards. It read... 3PH, Amps per line 220-3.3 440-1.7, 1HP, 1155 RPM. I'll get a pic today. Ordered the SB serial number card yesterday.

I'd consider that good news. Find yourself a good 220v drive that will run on single phase input and you're home free. A 1 hp drive shouldn't break the bank either.

I'm a bit of a snob on this and would look for an Allen Bradley, Square D, or Siemens drive. But there are certainly cheaper Chinese versions out there too.

Congrats!

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    I'd consider that good news. Find yourself a good 220v drive that will run on single phase input and you're home free. A 1 hp drive shouldn't break the bank either.

I'm a bit of a snob on this and would look for an Allen Bradley, Square D, or Siemens drive. But there are certainly cheaper Chinese versions out there too.

Congrats!

Poly phase you mean (two hot lines) it's not a single phase... but for my next vfd I would do just that pay the extra for a higher end unit ....setting up one of those Chinese units is a huge pain your first time but the others tend to be quite user friendly (you get what you pay for). But I was on a budget and it was my first experience setting/using one and I have to admit there capabilities are quite amazing. Get a over sized vfd though if your a 1hp look at a 1.5 or 2hp there not much more generally

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Poly phase you mean (two hot lines) it's not a single phase... but for my next vfd I would do just that pay the extra for a higher end unit ....setting up one of those Chinese units is a huge pain your first time but the others tend to be quite user friendly (you get what you pay for). But I was on a budget and it was my first experience setting/using one and I have to admit there capabilities are quite amazing. Get a over sized vfd though if your a 1hp look at a 1.5 or 2hp there not much more generally

Actually, it is single phase. Your two hots come from either side of the same coil. The neutral is exactly that, a center tap of that same coil.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Actually, it is single phase. Your two hots come from either side of the same coil. The neutral is exactly that, a center tap of that same coil.
    Technically you are correct! even though they are different phases they derive from same source leg therefor there is only one pure input... Interesting learned something new today...

Padawan at 3.3 amps you will have a easy time find finding a VFD i dont believe they make to many under 1hp just make sure your motor is set up for 220v you'll have to open it up and visually check what leads are connected to what there should be a chart.... The vfd can do 440v without issue but if something shorts its quite a bit more energetic

Top Bottom