• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattyLite

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    While growing up we went to the boundary waters every year. The right of passage was when you could carry a canoe across a portage. I have great memories that I will never forget. We would typically go for 2 weeks at a time never seeing another sole. Man i ate a lot of fish. One year we went with a group. One individual had been going every year for probably 20+ years. His system was unbelievable. Size and weight.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's why I usually went in late August, early September. Virtually no mosquitoes or black flies. Plus cool nights for sleeping!:)

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Anyone going to the BWCA should send me a pm,and plan a lunch/dinner in Two Harbors.We moved from central Indiana last year to zup north and still hang out on INGO :)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Have been to BWCA twice, Isle Royale NP, Sylvania wilderness area, always in early July-heard frightful stories about the spring/early summer blackflies! Pack headnets, lotsa DEET!

I was going to mention the flies, you beat me to it. Don't forget the mosquitoes as well.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Have fun. I always went to the end of the Gunflint and headed out from there. Usually up through Saganaga along the border.

Sounds like you've been EXACTLY where we are going. Last time I went in - we went Saganaga (had an outfitter drop us in at American Point.) along the border, over Monument portage. We hung out and fished up and down Otter Track - so literally right on the border.

Our official policy is to throw any fish we caught that had Canadian flags on their sides back into the water.... the rest were dinner! :D

This time we're going to go over Monument portage and probably portage into Ester Lake. Probably set up camp there and fish. We might day trip into Ashdick, Rabbit etc. Those are the plans - we'll follow our nose - never know where you might end up!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like you've been EXACTLY where we are going. Last time I went in - we went Saganaga (had an outfitter drop us in at American Point.) along the border, over Monument portage. We hung out and fished up and down Otter Track - so literally right on the border.

Our official policy is to throw any fish we caught that had Canadian flags on their sides back into the water.... the rest were dinner! :D

This time we're going to go over Monument portage and probably portage into Ester Lake. Probably set up camp there and fish. We might day trip into Ashdick, Rabbit etc. Those are the plans - we'll follow our nose - never know where you might end up!

Yup, been through there several times. My son and I even did a round trip with a drop off at American point and 5 days later we paddled out on Seagull. We made a big loop. Ottertrack is a good lake.

We used to slay the fish at the spillways between some of the lakes.:)

Where Ottertrack meets with the south arm of Knife there was a campsite that sat up on hill at the end of Ottertrack. Then there was a little "bay" around the corner from it, a little water rapids area leading to Little Knife. Their was also a campsite right by the rapids. Both were awesome sites.

Plus, there was a little lake called Amoeber Lake that had a rough but short portage that had some nice fishing in it. Eddy Lake also produced well for us.

All this has me reminiscing. My son and I have some great memories that will last forever from there. He even did a 10 day solo trip after he graduated from high school.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    gregkl -
    one week to go for me... next Sunday is drop off day at American point. We're using Tuscarora to get us in there. I've only been once before - but they seemed solid that time. And yeah my daughter's graduating from high school so she's going in with us. When she heard about the chance to go in - even though it meant missing graduation ceremonies - the answer was obvious. BWCA in a hearbeat.

Those spillway areas were good to us as well. I'm a little scared of the portage into Ester. I've hiked it, just to have a look over - but left the canoes and gear at the bottom. it's a pretty stiff uphill portage. I'm not getting any younger - or lighter...

But that's why they have Sven and Ole's pizza joint in Grand Marais for the way out!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    gregkl -
    one week to go for me... next Sunday is drop off day at American point. We're using Tuscarora to get us in there. I've only been once before - but they seemed solid that time. And yeah my daughter's graduating from high school so she's going in with us. When she heard about the chance to go in - even though it meant missing graduation ceremonies - the answer was obvious. BWCA in a hearbeat.

Those spillway areas were good to us as well. I'm a little scared of the portage into Ester. I've hiked it, just to have a look over - but left the canoes and gear at the bottom. it's a pretty stiff uphill portage. I'm not getting any younger - or lighter...

But that's why they have Sven and Ole's pizza joint in Grand Marais for the way out!

Have a great time! Post your experiences and maybe some pictures when you return.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Quick update - I am currently in Rice Lake WI after paddling out yesterday morning. The late winter has had an effect. We had great weather (but VERY cold at night). I'm going to make some adjustments to my cold weather gear based on what I learned.

I was with a group of eight. Went in at American Point. Over swamp portage and Monument Portage. Camped at one of the sites on Otter Track and day tripped all over the place.

Fishing was ok - by BWCAW standards. Several smallmouth in various locations - Ester and Hansen didn't yield any luck to our group. but Otter Track and even Saganaga on the way out were kind to us. One of our crew pulled a the winning smallie out - 22 plus inches! He pulled that out - get this - shore fishing at one of the campsites on Saganaga the night before we paddled the last leg out for our tow.

My 14 year old caught the only walleye in our group. A nice one for sure. We were trying for them - but the water temps are still REALLY cold for this time of year.

Pike - I did the best -a fight of a lifetime on Otter Track trolling with a spinner. But there were plenty of them around. My guess is that we landed 15 of them +/- ..

My 14 year old landed a largemouth as well. Oddly the best hotspot for us for bass was Mud Bay - that silty mud bottom joint right after you get off of Monument Portage. I think that the bass are hiding in the shallows there, probably a water temp thing.

Did not take a digital camera. Will scan some pics and update once the old skool pics come in.

Oh - mosquito report (the usual MN 4-engine variety...). First part of the week it was cold enough that they were not bad. Towards the end of the week we were seeing more. And at the outfitter's place - it was full on, all out warfare.

More when I get the rest of the pics/get back home

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Quick update - I am currently in Rice Lake WI after paddling out yesterday morning. The late winter has had an effect. We had great weather (but VERY cold at night). I'm going to make some adjustments to my cold weather gear based on what I learned.

I was with a group of eight. Went in at American Point. Over swamp portage and Monument Portage. Camped at one of the sites on Otter Track and day tripped all over the place.

Fishing was ok - by BWCAW standards. Several smallmouth in various locations - Ester and Hansen didn't yield any luck to our group. but Otter Track and even Saganaga on the way out were kind to us. One of our crew pulled a the winning smallie out - 22 plus inches! He pulled that out - get this - shore fishing at one of the campsites on Saganaga the night before we paddled the last leg out for our tow.

My 14 year old caught the only walleye in our group. A nice one for sure. We were trying for them - but the water temps are still REALLY cold for this time of year.

Pike - I did the best -a fight of a lifetime on Otter Track trolling with a spinner. But there were plenty of them around. My guess is that we landed 15 of them +/- ..

My 14 year old landed a largemouth as well. Oddly the best hotspot for us for bass was Mud Bay - that silty mud bottom joint right after you get off of Monument Portage. I think that the bass are hiding in the shallows there, probably a water temp thing.

Did not take a digital camera. Will scan some pics and update once the old skool pics come in.

Oh - mosquito report (the usual MN 4-engine variety...). First part of the week it was cold enough that they were not bad. Towards the end of the week we were seeing more. And at the outfitter's place - it was full on, all out warfare.

More when I get the rest of the pics/get back home

Nice trip report! Sounds like you had a great time!

Top Bottom