• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I'm wanting to start canning and want to get my feet wet by starting with just vacuum sealing dry goods in jars. I've seen a couple videos on YT about using a brake bleeder. Has anyone on here done this? I have a vacuum pump I could use but I want a manual way of doing it too.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I haven't vacuum caned anything except my foodsaver canisters, they never seemed to hold a vacuum for very long.

Look into water bath canning it is easy to do, just need a pot full of water.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    There’s an attachment on my FoodSaver that does this but I never tried a brake bleeder. Seems like you would need an adapter to fit on the jar.
    The videos I've seen they used the food saver adapters and then plugged the bleeder into the adapters. Seen a couple using a PVC chamber as well. If food savers weren't so expensive I'd get one now but I'm putting my pennies back for one in the future.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Drawing a vacuum on a jar isn’t canning. Vacuuming out (most) air will help to preserve most already-dry foods (coffee, nuts, seasonings, etc), but you‘ll have to heat most foods to preserve (aka. “can”) them.

Get your hands on the Ball Blue Book Guide to Food Preserving, your library likely has it.

Canning properly kills the bacteria that leads to decay.

Good luck and be safe. Its easy and a worthy life skill, and if you have a pressure cooker or a tall pot, you‘re 90% there.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Most of my bulk dried goods go into buckets with gamma lids. I've never had an issue. Originally I would vacuum seal the materials then place in the gamma bucket. I have since eliminated the vacuum and placed directly in the gamma bucket. I'm intrigued with brake bleeder idea. It would allow vac'ing if power were out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I picked up a pretty cool fermentation set last year. It came with a hand pump that does dual duty held down on the foodsaver mason jar lid vacuum adapters.

1643045273078.png

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Most of my bulk dried goods go into buckets with gamma lids. I've never had an issue. Originally I would vacuum seal the materials then place in the gamma bucket. I have since eliminated the vacuum and placed directly in the gamma bucket. I'm intrigued with brake bleeder idea. It would allow vac'ing if power were out.
    I used to do the mylar bag in a 5gal bucket with gamma lid too. It works great for large, bulk quantities, and still use it. The only issue was when I needed something from inside. I'd open the lid, cut the mylar bag open and resealing them was a major pain.
    With the vacuumed, quart jars, I take out what I need, throw another oxygen absorber inside, replace lid and ring.
    The bucket method is my long term method that's stacked in the garage and the jar method is the stuff I rotate and use as needed.

EDIT;
    I've been calling these quart jars, they're actually 1/2 gallon jars I use for vacuum canning.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I was concerned RE: opening and closing the gamma bucket, but with basic aseptic techniques, I've yet to have a problem. I rotate 2-3 buckets on bulk items. Thus only one is ever opened at a time. My biggest complaint is that I can't reuse the lid on another bucket. The ring that accepts the lid is near impossible to get off. I watched a couple stupidtube vids for removal process, but after wrestling the lid for a half hour, I decided it wasn't worth the $10 I was trying to save. What I like about the jars is that it's premeasured and probably good street value, should you ever need to barter. That and they're reusable.

Top Bottom