• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    Finally got my 40sw Lee mold in last night. I promptly started melting lead. After 50 pours (100 bullets) the bullets still had like deep gouges in them and all in the same place etc. I tried my father's 357 mold and everything was just peachy! I gave up and shut down for the night.

After work today I closely inspected the mold, and there doesn't seem to be any burs, spurs etc. I even took a cotton swab to it, and the cotton swab didn't stretch or tear any...

I noticed after several casts there was a liquid oily type residue on the mold.

Anyway, I did 150 pours this evening and still no perfect bullet. Tried my father's mold to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong and the bullets were still perfect.

Is there a break in period on new molds? are you supposed to do something to them before you start?

Thanks..

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Smoke it and your problems will go away. Though they say to not use a candle I do and don't have any problems. Once you have that coat of carbon black on there the mold should start filling fine.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I noticed after several casts there was a liquid oily type residue on the mold.

And there's your problem.

I soak new ones in Dawn and water overnight, rinse them well, then give them 4-5 heat cycles in the oven at 350F for 30 minutes allowing to cool to room temperature in between.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    I use "Quickscrub" gun cleaner (spray can) or carburetor cleaner (spray can) and then smoke with a butane lighter. I have heard that brake cleaner is too aggressive to use on aluminum molds.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Boil them in a little bit of dawn and boiling water about 15 min is all thats needed. Dry them up, then smoke the cavities.
    Put a drop of motor oil if you aint got any bullplate sprue lube on the alignment pins and sprue bolt. Only a drop on a cotton swab is all you need, dont get it in your cavities.
    Make sure you preheat your mold. I use a hot plate set between med and low while my pot heats up.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I do the carb cleaner thing with mine, then scrub them with dish soap using an old tooth brush. Smoke 'em with butane lighter and they're good to go.

That oil is stubborn and will give you problems until you get it all off.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Smoking the cavities is an aide in the help with them dropping out.
    If you haven't got the oil off that is on the mold from the cherries cutting the cavities, it'll give you bad casts till it's burned out, which can be a long time.
    If after cleaning your mold up and you're still getting voids in your casts, check your pot temp, and make sure your mold has been preheated. Mold temp plays a big roll in perfect casts.
    Due to the lack of good QC with Lee molds and products in general, if all else fails with cleaning the mold, mold & pot temp, and making sure you've fluxed your lead, you might have to leement the mold.
    I do this to all my Lee molds before sitting down and casting any serious amounts.

Top Bottom