• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I understand what you're saying, I've just not seen any proof of it. Kujo stated you provide make and serial number. That means the make would be part of the unique ID. In which case my suggestion absolutely does not work.

Seems like there should be an amendment process for previously approved items (IE serial number change, etc.).

Sorry OP, sounds like you're SOL unless you can find a place to repair it.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I'm no metallurgy expert but the mag tactical lower is a magnesium infused aluminum which I don't believe you cannot weld magnesium.

Yea, im not being a dick but your not a expert.. There are multiple processes to weld Mag alloys. Stick,mig and tig for starters..

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That's not necessarily true. I know someone who had a MAJOR manufacturer replace their broken factory SBR lower with a brand new one. Same serial number as the old.

I could swear that was one of the things that manufacturer that got busted and fined for having too many unnumbered lowers laying around because the guy that does the engraving was on vacation or some nonsense like that.

But knowing our govt, I wouldnt put it past them for night/day interpretations of law depending on the day of the week and what the person in charge felt like that day.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I purchased a silencer from a major manufacturer. I took it out to test it when it FINALLY got out of jail. The first shot ripped it off the end of the rifle with multiple baffle strikes. It turns out that they had produced a small number with crossed threads that did not line up properly. I asked them if they could just replace it and use the same serial number. They informed me that they, and many others, USED to do it that way. Then some yahoo decided to write the ATF, and ask for permission in WRITING, prompting the ATF to come out with a ruling that it could not be done. So, I was out another $200 for a second tax stamp, and I had to wait another six months before I got my silencer. Another sad thing was that my original .223 silencer just happened to be serial number 223, which I thought was both cool & easy to remember.

KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    That is a bummer. I would have asked them to pay for the additional tax stamp and most likely asked for a large discount on another item.

I purchased a silencer from a major manufacturer. I took it out to test it when it FINALLY got out of jail. The first shot ripped it off the end of the rifle with multiple baffle strikes. It turns out that they had produced a small number with crossed threads that did not line up properly. I asked them if they could just replace it and use the same serial number. They informed me that they, and many others, USED to do it that way. Then some yahoo decided to write the ATF, and ask for permission in WRITING, prompting the ATF to come out with a ruling that it could not be done. So, I was out another $200 for a second tax stamp, and I had to wait another six months before I got my silencer. Another sad thing was that my original .223 silencer just happened to be serial number 223, which I thought was both cool & easy to remember.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wasn't sure if you could do that, so I didn't suggest it. I know the manufacturer can, but they're out of business.

That post was pulled as it was suggesting the commission of a felony to my knowledge. You can not Dup Ser.#

Do not suggest these action in open forum please.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    When doing a Form 1 you are not given the same privileges of manufacturing replacement parts as a 07/02 or other license holders. It is the same for a Form 1 Suppressor, once the suppressor is complete you cannot replace old baffles with new baffles. I think you need to spend a little more time "reading" before you give more advice. Like I stated before, you give all the info such as make and model to the ATF on your Form 1 and they approve it to be manufactured into a SBR. Even if you used an 80% type lower (you can and it has been done) you still cannot just make another with the same serial number.

Just curious here, but how do companies fix cans with baffle strikes without replacing the whole can??

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Just curious here, but how do companies fix cans with baffle strikes without replacing the whole can??

Depends on the suppressor. Fully welded cans are going to be tough. They might be able to cut it and weld on new end and baffles if it's in the right place. Cans that aren't fully welded are simple. They remove endcap, replace baffles and weld on a new cap. If it's the fault of the gun or ammo, a lot of times the mfg will just offer discount on new can as it can be expensive to repair.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I could swear that was one of the things that manufacturer that got busted and fined for having too many unnumbered lowers laying around because the guy that does the engraving was on vacation or some nonsense like that.

But knowing our govt, I wouldnt put it past them for night/day interpretations of law depending on the day of the week and what the person in charge felt like that day.
    Now you have me wondering. I know for a fact that this was done in this case. So I wonder if we may be talking about the same company. I'll have to dig into this on Monday for curiosity sake

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I understand what you're saying, I've just not seen any proof of it. Kujo stated you provide make and serial number. That means the make would be part of the unique ID. In which case my suggestion absolutely does not work.

Seems like there should be an amendment process for previously approved items (IE serial number change, etc.).

Sorry OP, sounds like you're SOL unless you can find a place to repair it.

The ATF would never allow an amendment process, as it would let people repair transferable machine guns that were too heavily damaged to fix. Since our government, no matter who happens to be running it at the time, seems actively hostile to civilian machinegun ownership, they'd much rather see the existing stock of transferable dwindle into nothing as guns fail. Unfortunately for them, by limiting the supply and thus jacking up the price, they've pretty much guaranteed that it makes it worth peoples time to fix things that absolutely wouldn't be worth fixing (like spending $500 to reweld a stamped sheet metal M11 that cost $150 new, but now is worth $5,000).

It wouldn't surprise me if technology with 3D printing, CNC, and nano-tech wouldn't advance far enough, in the nearish future (next 20 or 30 years), that they could rebuild almost anything, no matter how damaged (as long as the serial number wasn't destroyed), even it meant rebuilding it at the molecular level. Assuming they don't just outright ban and confiscate the remaining transferables, that is... or the Hughes Amendment gets completely struck down.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That post was pulled as it was suggesting the commission of a felony to my knowledge. You can not Dup Ser.#

Do not suggest these action in open forum please.

Given the nature of the suggestion, shouldnt you also remove any responses that quote him, thus leaving the proof of the suggestion still floating around? (or at least edit the quotes out of the responses?)

Then again, due to the power of Google cache, its never truly gone.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    A possibility that popped into my head for the OP's issue; is it still usable enough to put a .22 lower on it? If it's something that could be JB Welded or similar to repair it enough that you could slap a SBR .22 upper on it at least you wouldn't be totally out of your tax stamp money. Not much help on a rifle or even pistol caliber but It may work...

Top Bottom