• ...and so much more!
  • Simorah

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Boone County, Indiana
    I just fired an AK for the first time and it kinda beat me up a bit. I had weird almost pinpoint bruising in the shape of the butt after firing it. Maybe it's normal because I'm pasty but is there any way to prevent this from happening again because I really enjoyed firing it!

Thanks!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Pull the rifle in tight to the pocket, so it is not smacking you.

At the same time, grip solidly with your support hand to mitigate the recoil to your shoulder.

Plant your face down onto the stock for a proper cheek weld and you'll have the whole package.

You can shoot much heavier recoiling guns than AK's all day, if you "ride" the recoil.

Simorah

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Boone County, Indiana
    Tucked in tight keeps the rifle from getting a running start at your shoulder. Helps keep inertia management in your favor. Do you bruise easily in general?
    Sometimes I do bruise easily... Would sitting vs standing have made a difference with keeping it in tighter? I did it sitting at one of those table things. Or would gravity not be my friend in this situation?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ah yes, the old "pull it tightly into the pocket" advice. I generally ignore this anymore for a few reasons.

1) Taken too literally, some people will pull the gun in WAY too tightly in some kind of a death grip. I've actually bruised myself before, way back when before I knew better, SIMPLY by pulling the gun in too tightly (while shooting a .22 of all things - ridiculous, I know, but it was several decades ago). As long as the long gun is in relatively firm contact with with your body it's fine.

2) "Pocket" implies one's elbow is up in the old chicken-wing position - which forms the "pocket." (This is the "Soviet manual of arms" stance in the posted video above.) It also spreads out your chest muscles, and for many people isn't conducive to an agressive posture. Suggestion - elbow down. This will contract your chest muscles better and allow an aggressive, forward, offensive/defensive posture more easily. Also allows you to square up to the target better , present one's full body armor panels to an opponent, etc. (rather than a bladed stance).

3) Something else you can try, although I've only ever used it with 12 ga slugs/buck (much more recoil than an AK), is the push/pull technique popularized by Ron Haught. The pretensioned spring action of one's flexed triceps transfers a lot of felt recoil - otherwise felt in the shoulder - away.

Anyway, some ideas to try.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I must bruise easily. My shoulder bruises just from shouldering a rifle and clearing rooms o doing other related training that doesn't even have firing involved. To me a bruised shoulder from shooting is just normal.
    I bruise easy too.

1628101649787.jpeg

Simorah

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Boone County, Indiana
    Ah yes, the old "pull it tightly into the pocket" advice. I generally ignore this anymore for a few reasons.

1) Taken too literally, some people will pull the gun in WAY too tightly in some kind of a death grip. I've actually bruised myself before, way back when before I knew better, SIMPLY by pulling the gun in too tightly (while shooting a .22 of all things - ridiculous, I know, but it was several decades ago). As long as the long gun is in relatively firm contact with with your body it's fine.

2) "Pocket" implies one's elbow is up in the old chicken-wing position - which forms the "pocket." (This is the "Soviet manual of arms" stance in the posted video above.) It also spreads out your chest muscles, and for many people isn't conducive to an agressive posture. Suggestion - elbow down. This will contract your chest muscles better and allow an aggressive, forward, offensive/defensive posture more easily. Also allows you to square up to the target better , present one's full body armor panels to an opponent, etc. (rather than a bladed stance).

3) Something else you can try, although I've only ever used it with 12 ga slugs/buck (much more recoil than an AK), is the push/pull technique popularized by Ron Haught. The pretensioned spring action of one's flexed triceps transfers a lot of felt recoil - otherwise felt in the shoulder - away.

<video links snipped>

Anyway, some ideas to try.
    Hmmm. Now I'm not sure if I had it in too tight or not tight enough.

Thanks for the vids. I'll give that push/pull thing a shot and see if it helps.

I'll also be more cognizant of how I have my arm next time. I think I had it on the table kind of propping it up or supporting it but honestly, I'm not sure. Like I said, I'm new to the whole thing.

Top Bottom