• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    I reload on a Dillon 650, and when I look inside to check the powder in the cases its a bit dark :cool: I have saw some lighting kits for the progressive press that cost waaaay to much! So I decided to go at it on my own and rig up a light for my 650. I started out with ordering a 12v 9 led strip light thats impregnated in silicone, and a 120/12v converter to run the lights, and I had a switch, and cig lighter plug in the toolbox.
    light5301x98.jpg

I attatched the light to a piece of copper ground wire with zipties so that I can bend it out of the way when changing out the dies.
    light2120x160.jpg

I ended up putting the light on a switch, just cause I had one laying there :dunno:
    light3160x118.jpg

Now its nice and bright when I look in and do a powder check while running the press
    light4120x160.jpg

With having the light and switch in the toolbox, I only had to buy the led light and converter. So after Ebay'in them with shipping I have 10$ in the whole project :rockwoot::rockwoot:

Just thought I would throw this out there because I have read where people complain about needing more light to see in their presses, so if ya want a cheap light....here ya go

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Its a simple solution. Buy a 4' dual florescent from Home Depot for $25 and hang it over your bench. You're over thinking this.

Beside being able to see into your XL650, you'll have light on your bench.

Good overall lighting is one of the MOST important things you can have in your reloading room.... save a good scale and an accurate caliper set.

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 23, 2010
    Converse Indiana
    Its a simple solution. Buy a 4' dual florescent from Home Depot for $25 and hang it over your bench. You're over thinking this.

Good overall lighting is one of the MOST important things you can have in your reloading room.... save a good scale and an accurate caliper set.

I have a 4fter hanging over my bench already. It's not bad lookin in at small cases, but for me it's light load 38spl that it's hard to see that lil bit of powder in a longer case.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN

I have this also...does pretty good but i have thought about putting a single LED on the under side of my progressive press (pro1000) to do the same thing. I was just going to go with a single LED though as it already have good light pretty much everywhere.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

If good overall lighting is very important, would it be fair to say that very specific lighting, right where you need it, is also a good thing? It's not like the OP was using this as his only light source. :D

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom