• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Thinking about building a back stop, but I really dont know what I really need to do. My initial idea is to set 2 rail road ties down next to each other and build up a box, 6x8 plywood box, about 12 inches thick, and fill it full of rock I have laying around. I know eventually it will all start to fall out, but I will keep tossing up sheets of plywood as needed. I dont know if this is sufficient enough to stop rounds of all calibers though. If not, I can have a 1/2'' steel plate deflector plate constructed with blinders and set it behind the stop. Im shooting into 8 acres of HEAVILY wooded area, so I dont think I necessarily need to stop the rounds, more so slow them down.

Help? Suggestions? pictures? usual INGO sarcasm?

Thanks

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've considered building a backstop many times,I'm just to lazy.My plan has always been to stack railroad ties two deep and probably about ten high and then get ahold of enough dirt to build a berm on either side about four feet thick off the stack.

Looking at it from the side would look something like this: /ll\

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    IMHO your idea is a bad one. Rocks invite ricochets in all directions.

The best option is a big pile of dirt. This takes a lot of effort and a lot of space, and if you don't have dirt on hand to move around and a loader tractor, a decent amount of money.

Another option is to stack old tires vertically and fill them with dirt. You will need to run poles through the middle to keep them vertical, and you will need to hand-pack the dirt into each tire. You will need at least 2 staggered rows of tires. They will settle, so you will also need some sort of frame to anchor them to to keep them from tipping over (even with steel poles driven through the middle). Or a berm behind to lean them back on.

I have several dirt berms and one of the tire berms still under construction. The dirt berms are a whole lot easier given ownership of dirt and a tractor; the tire berm has been a PIA to build which is why in the end it will take me 2 years to complete. Many handgun rounds embed in the surface of the tires without penetrating after skipping off the ground in front of the berm; eye protection is a must.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    About 4 years ago I built an AR15 and presented it to my younger brother as a gift.
    Three weeks later he called me up and told me to come over to his house and bring a couple of guns. He said he had put a range in his front yard! :rockwoot:

I showed up to find a dirt berm about 5 feet tall, by 15 feet wide, by about 8 feet deep, and topped with two rows tall and two rows deep of railroad ties. This brings the top to almost 6 feet tall.
    I asked my brother about it and he said that he put the whole thing in by hand! Used a round-nose shovel and a wheel barrow.

Range berms are easy.
    Just build your brother an AR! :dunno:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I wouldn't use rocks. Also, you will want to stop the rounds not just slow them down.

What is beyond the 8 acres of woods? You want to make sure that you stop every round from leaving your property as you are responsible for any damage that is caused by the bullets you fire. Damage to trees can also be expensive since the trees do have value to the owner of that property. If it is your property, then feel free to shoot them. If it is not, this could end badly.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Top Bottom