• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I shoot down into a ravine also. There is absolutely no chance an errant round leaves my property. It's good piece of mind.
    My only concern is someone shooting high, whether they know it or not.
    I’m still shooting down into an old gravel pit partially filled, but you can shoot up.

I would consider an "eyebrow" or 2 at the firing line. MCFG and Atterbury have them for ideas on what works.
    I assume this addresses the shooting high problem?

I more back and forth and side to side, so an eyebrow wouldn’t work for me except at the bench at 100 yards.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Last one I looked at was currently being farmed. It would be nice to continue to lease it out to offset payment but not a requirement.
    I was originally looking for all woodland to hunt/shoot. Ended up with majority farm field, some woods, and a small pasture. Income from the field is nice, and having a working relationship with the farmer helps too. He's going to help me do some stuff around the property with his equipment that would take me forever to do without.

gsxr219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    NWI
    I was originally looking for all woodland to hunt/shoot. Ended up with majority farm field, some woods, and a small pasture. Income from the field is nice, and having a working relationship with the farmer helps too. He's going to help me do some stuff around the property with his equipment that would take me forever to do without.
    Absolutely. Sounds like you got the best of both worlds. Amazing what you can do with access to heavy equipment!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Last one I looked at was currently being farmed. It would be nice to continue to lease it out to offset payment but not a requirement.
    I know where there is 18 acres tillable it was for sale a couple years ago, I wanted it but when asked the price the guy wouldn’t set a number. He said he’d know it when he heard it. I could call him and ask again, but ground has sky rocketed in the last few years? It’s still being farmed, row crops.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I know where there is 18 acres tillable it was for sale a couple years ago, I wanted it but when asked the price the guy wouldn’t set a number. He said he’d know it when he heard it. I could call him and ask again, but ground has sky rocketed in the last few years? It’s still being farmed, row crops.
    Which part of the state?

gsxr219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 6, 2020
    NWI
    I think White Co.
    I could be potentially interested depending on the area/surrounding areas.

But yes, land has gotten expensive the last couple years. Wish I would have been in a position to buy before the jump

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I could be potentially interested depending on the area/surrounding areas.

But yes, land has gotten expensive the last couple years. Wish I would have been in a position to buy before the jump
    Next time I’m over that way I’ll get contact info n check County lines to make sure it‘s White.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Ran across this article.
    These rubber tire bales would work good o think for building a backstop and fill it in with dirt/sand in front.
    They weigh 1 ton each.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    The problem with Indiana is that unless you are on the edges of the State - it is amazingly flat! We were fortunate enough to have purchased a property in Union County a little over a year ago, and it has what my wife describes as "God's own berm." A forty foot tall rise, and if you do shoot over it, and got it at *just* the right angle, it is over a mile to the nearest structure. We put in a 50'-100' pistol range and a 100+ yd rifle range. Life is good.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I know safety is paramount. And I know tragedies have happened with stray bullets. But scientifically thinking….. if your aiming at a target roughly your height maybe lower (mine are all on the ground so trajectory is even more drastic) ….. the projectile will be in the dirt within what 100yds(just an example I know it will vary)? Because shooting long distance you have to use a lot of elevation or hold over.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I know safety is paramount. And I know tragedies have happened with stray bullets. But scientifically thinking….. if your aiming at a target roughly your height maybe lower (mine are all on the ground so trajectory is even more drastic) ….. the projectile will be in the dirt within what 100yds(just an example I know it will vary)? Because shooting long distance you have to use a lot of elevation or hold over.
    If you shoot a 5.56 at a 4 foot high target at 100yds. It will take approximately 450yds before it hits the ground if where you are shooting is totally flat.

A 9mm shooting at 25yds at a 4 foot high target will take approximately 200yds before it hits the ground. If shooting on flat ground.

Reactions: Mij

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The problem with Indiana is that unless you are on the edges of the State - it is amazingly flat! We were fortunate enough to have purchased a property in Union County a little over a year ago, and it has what my wife describes as "God's own berm." A forty foot tall rise, and if you do shoot over it, and got it at *just* the right angle, it is over a mile to the nearest structure. We put in a 50'-100' pistol range and a 100+ yd rifle range. Life is good.
    A friend of mine lucked out. When they bought their house near fountaintown, the back 40 butted up against a creek, and 50 yards from the creek toward the house is a 30' bluff. So he can go down in the river bottom and shoot toward the house safely. Any rounds that might go over the top of the bluff will sail over the house easily and land in one of the multiple fields downrange. (several miles of fields and country roads as I recall. )

They are still super careful, but its good knowing that it would be a mighty freak accident for someone to be struck if the unthinkable happened.

Top Bottom