• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    I am looking at building an 24in barrel AR-10. Something like this...
    picture.php

I have built an AR-15 so I am familiar with most of the components. However, I am still deciding what company to get my upper and lower from. I have been looking at Armalite and DPMS since they are the only ones I have found to have both a upper and lower. I am having some trouble find parts for an AR-10. Is there another company I should consider? Does anyone have a place they like (website) to go for AR-10 parts? I have browsed through gunbroker and some AR15 sites like Bravo Company and Midway. I has been hit and miss on certain parts.

Thanks

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ive looked at building one over the past few months. after countless hours of research ive come to the conclusion you cant save money building one. hell the bcg is 225ish.

if i got one i was going to buy a cheap factory rifle, strip off the barrel, stock and sell them unfired and buy a barrel and stock to my liking. i dont mind building one but you can buy one for 900, and the lower, upper, bcg, lpk will run you 800 as parts. so i figured i could easily get 100 extra bucks out of a new barrel, and stock.

:twocents:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    AR10 noob question...
    I am pretty sure I am going to go for an armalite upper and lower if I am going to build it. However I keep coming across AR-10 and AR-10T parts. what is the difference between them?

I am still thinking of buying an AR10 and part it out for what I want. How hard is that? Do you need any different tools compared to assembling it?

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    AR10T's are free floated (and usually) stainless steel heavy barrels. The only different part compared to a non free float AR10 is an 1/8" longer ejection port door rod to work with the free float tube.

As for parting it out, I've used wood blocks to assemble and A3 upper, but I'm not sure how tight factory assembled barrels are. I would suggest getting their upper receiver blocks.
    Otherwise, it's the same punches and wrenches as used on an AR15 (unless you're parting out an AR10T, they use a different barrel nut that not all wrenches fit).

And like I said above, Armalite .com usually has sales throughout the year, Tax Day, July 4, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, and 12 Days of Christmas. Copmlete uppers can be $100 or $200 off.

Yeti

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    New Haven
    Thanks. Would a AR10T barrel fit in a AR10 upper?
    And like I said above, Armalite .com usually has sales throughout the year, Tax Day, July 4, Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, and 12 Days of Christmas. Copmlete uppers can be $100 or $200 off.
    I have been watching armalites site for it but nothing yet. Tax season is coming to an end soon.:D

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Are you confused about seeing two different upper receivers, one for AR10 and AR10T?
    An Armalite AR10T barrel will fit in an Armalite AR10 upper. BUT might need the longer port rod depending on the handguards.

The AR10 would be for standard two piece hanguard setups, where the AR10T would come with the extended port door rod for use with free float handguards.

AR10 A4 UPPER RECEIVER ASSY FORWARD ASSIST

AR10 T UPPER RECEIVER ASSY WITH FORWARD ASSIST

The sale should be on tax day, April 18 (I think).

Top Bottom