Building an underground bunker in backyard. (videos)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This British guy is building a bunker in his backyard and you can follow the build on Youtube.

I thought it could give some ideas to some of you ...

[video=youtube;8UKNajCgpEs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UKNajCgpEs&index=1&list=PLGjbAdaOBLBlS1MP KXYmqwZLZhWC1FAMx[/video]

[video=youtube;z8yiuJ9yFic]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yiuJ9yFic&index=2&list=PLGjbAdaOBLBlS1MP KXYmqwZLZhWC1FAMx[/video]

[video=youtube;p1t7r3SKT2o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1t7r3SKT2o&list=PLGjbAdaOBLBlS1MPKXYmqwZL ZhWC1FAMx&index=3[/video]

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    It actually ended up a lot better and less cobbled together than I thought it would.

My only concern is the steel he is using. I would be afraid it would rust. I know it would take a significant amount of time for it to become an issue to the structure, but it would still be a concern.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It actually ended up a lot better and less cobbled together than I thought it would.

My only concern is the steel he is using. I would be afraid it would rust. I know it would take a significant amount of time for it to become an issue to the structure, but it would still be a concern.

I visited 70 years old bunkers with rusty steel everywhere and they are still standing strong. :dunno:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Interesting. I assume they did some engineering studies as I'd be concerned about crushing, but it looks interesting.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

I visited 70 years old bunkers with rusty steel everywhere and they are still standing strong. :dunno:

I thought about that also. I would think that the soil pH, soil chemistry, and how wet the area is would all affect the rate of corrosion of the steel. If you look at the video, the surrounding soil looks pretty dry with shallow bedrock, which appears to be limestone.

One other thing I do know is that for underground steel holding tanks, they often install sacrificial anodes in the ground around the tank. These magnesium anodes are connected to the steel tank with a wire and as they erode, they keep the steel from rusting. They are replaced as needed.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Interesting. I assume they did some engineering studies as I'd be concerned about crushing, but it looks interesting.

From my understanding they are going to pour concrete in between the steel and the soil.
    I could have got that part wrong.
    Not sure if they poured concrete underneath the steel floor either.

Also curious if they will add a real blast door and air filtration systems.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    New update:

[video=youtube;pR493Pee6Xo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR493Pee6Xo[/video]

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the old neighborhoods in Chicago there were more than a few old houses with underground shelters. They were called "bomb shelters". Some were built during WWI but more were built around WWII. I have actually been in a couple. They were concrete lined, mechanically solid, but in a state of disrepair. Both were filled with mold from years of water leakage, and the shelves for provisions were long ago emptied. These were not in wide open spaces, they were behind row houses on 40-50 foot wide lots.

Top Bottom