• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Okay, as a take-off on the earlier thread about cleaning walnut media (summary: why?) I am trying to find the best deal on media. Ground walnut shell is sold as a blasting media in various size granulations and is quite a bit cheaper than that sold as "casing polishing media". I assume it is the same material, just repackaged. The question is, which grit size would be best?

In a 50 lb bag it comes out to about $1/pound. The following grit sizes were listed on the site I was looking at (http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/blasting-media/walnut-shell-grit-comparison.htm):

Extra Fine 40/60
    Fine 20/40
    Medium 12/20
    Coarse 8/12
    Extra Coarse 4/6

The numbers are the mesh size - which means nothing to me. However there were photos and it seems the Medium or Coarse would be about the same as commercial tumbling media (see photos below). Which do you think would be best?

Coarse
    walnut-shell-coarse-grit.jpg

Medium
    walnut-shell-medium-grit.jpg

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    For starters the smaller sized particles will get into small places where the larger ones can't (primer pockets, case rims etc.) The size I am using right now is about the same as the lower picture and it's the only size I've used but I can tell you it is about the perfect size for getting stuck in the flash holes. If I had to guess I would say the larger grains polish quicker but produce less gloss while the smaller ones likely work slower and produce a higher gloss. And people say handloading is boring!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I can't comment on grain size... But be sure to check your local Rural King / TSC / pet supply store before buying anything from a "firearms" website.

It's generally sold as reptile or rodent bedding. And it's the same exact stuff as that tumbling media you'd buy for cleaning brass.

-J-

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I can't comment on grain size... But be sure to check your local Rural King / TSC / pet supply store before buying anything from a "firearms" website.

It's generally sold as reptile or rodent bedding. And it's the same exact stuff as that tumbling media you'd buy for cleaning brass.

-J-

The site he linked is an industrial supply place, not a firearms site. Its sold there as blasting media, for cheaper than the pet store stuff.

jim7310

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    Westfield
    Classic and Rob337, thanks for the input. I have spent hours sitting in front of the TV poking bits of media out of hundreds of flashholes. I also have had little success in walnut media actually cleaning out the primer pockets - I usually have to go back and scrape some.

Rob - have you used the finer media and had good success?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Classic and Rob337, thanks for the input. I have spent hours sitting in front of the TV poking bits of media out of hundreds of flashholes. I also have had little success in walnut media actually cleaning out the primer pockets - I usually have to go back and scrape some.

Rob - have you used the finer media and had good success?

I use 20/40 corn cob. $27/40lbs shipped, can't beat it! I like corn cob better than walnut. Less dust and better shine on the brass, it just works a bit slower.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    I get it from McMaster-Carr since I'm usually ordering other things from them too, think it was around $1 a pound from them too. I like the 20/40, does not stick in flash holes, add a tablespoon of iron oxide to the mix and it polishes up the brass just fine.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    What I've always been told is that corn cob media shines, walnut cleans.
    I've always used corn cob till I bought my 1st 223.

I've tried the walnut media from Petsmart and ended up picking it out of the flash holes on 223 brass.
    What I was doing was trying to get the oily film off from using Frankford arsenal spray when I was resizing.
    On my other rifle calibers where I was just loading up 20-30 or so working up loads was to use vaseline then wipe clean as I loaded.
    Now that I use lanolin oil & Isso heat I don't worry about wiping off

Top Bottom