• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm looking to build a bullet trap to caught /recover rifle bullets( 7.62x54r / 303) ,thinking about 4' long 8" dia. full of sand . What do you guys think or any ideals.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    So you’re wanting to recover just a couple of each so you can measure them? At first blush I presumed you were looking for a long term recovery device. If you want to recover a few to measure out, water is probably best. If you can get your hands on a tall trash can or 55gal drum you should be able to fire straight down into it without piercing the bottom. Your slugs will remain intact too, and clean.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    For single use you can bind old magazines and newspaper into a "stack". Lots of stopping power and easy to retrieve. You can compare depth as well. It will make bullets into "flowers" just like the bullet bouquet. It won't interfere with the recycling value either...

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Your wanting to recover a fired bullet with no deformity?
    The only way to do this at home is to fire a (much) reduced load into as deep a colum of water that can be made available and wear your rain suit.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    When the myth busters did it, rifle bullets needed about 3’ of water to stop them.

Nay, nay, even when they fired them underwater they went much further than that but then they were full stregth loads.

Reduced rifle loads fired straight down may not work well because of the distance between the powder and primer, maybe you could use a filler like cotton or polyester to keep the powder back by the primer.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My understanding was that they did use up almost all of their energy in the first 3 feet or so. So a 55 gallon drum full of water would be sufficient.
    I am not a ballistics expert.
    I am a cornfield kid with a degree from fruit jar tech in political science.
    I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
    So, my advice and 10 dollars might get you a decent cup of coffee.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've recovered the likes of a .308 bullet, and I believe I recovered a .303 British round with nothing more than a wooden box suroounding several milk jugs of water.
    I believe I went 6 or 8 1 gallon jugs filled with water and capped with the caps that came with each jug.
    Lined them up in a straight line and built an open-ended box along the sides to redirect the round if it decided to go sideways on me.

I got some pretty remarkably undamaged rounds. Almost looked like pull-downs.
    These were all FMJ so no expansion.

The bad part about this method is that you only get one shot per 6-8 water jugs.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    All else fails if you need to do a few say less than 5 save up gallon milk or water jugs and line them up and shoot.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    When the myth busters did it, rifle bullets needed about 3’ of water to stop them.

I remember that episode. IIRC the faster the bullet went the worse it came apart. I was astonished how badly a .50 cal BMG round came apart. Also didn't one of the hosts Adam or the other guy made a comment about the legality of the .50 cal BMG as they were in Commyfonia?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom