• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I'm finding that it would be cheaper to purchase bullets and sabots for my muzzle loader separately.

Currently I'm shooting a 240gr Hornady XTP pistol bullet in a MMP sabot. Is anyone else here doing the same thing and if so, what combo are you using with good success ?

Also I'm thinking about shooting cast lead bullets from a sabot. If anyone is doing this, what mold are you using ?

Finally another option would be a sabotless projectile like a 300gr T/C Maxi-Ball. Anyone having success with these ?

Can't help but look for accuracy at a lower price which at times can be difficult.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I bought some Harvester Crush Rib sabots and have only had time to use Speer 210gr gold dot hp's through my T/C White Mountain Carbine (percussion ignition). Accuracy was decent, but I'll be trying some other bullets like the Sierra 240 jhc's when I get a chance. I had considered using cast bullets in sabots too, don't know why it wouldn't work. Also a friend of mine tried using the sabotless Hornady PRB's (?) in his CVA Accura but they shot terribly from it, FYI T/C Shockwaves shot very well for him. You can definitely save some decent $ by buying the bullet and sabot separately, and IMO it's more fun to create your own combinations.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe
    I also am using the Hornady 240gr XTP Mag bullet with the MMP sabot, using 100grs T7. I recently tried the TC Cheap Shots for 50 cal (240gr solid lead hollow point with their black sabot, 100grs T7). TC packs the sabot & bullets together in a package of 20 for $6.99 at my local sporting goods store. Midway carries them for a few bucks more. They group in the same location as the Hornady's so I did not have to re-sight in my rifle. You can use them for practice or hunting, results are comparable, but the price is less.

Top Bottom