• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    The discussion of bullet setback came up in another thread recently so I figured it was a good subject to discuss in a video.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6PAmKLUcbc[/ame]

Questions and comments are welcome.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great info and thanks for sharing !

I really wonder if it doesn't lead to more mishaps, but instead other things get blamed for it, such as a overcharge, weak case, wrong powder, ect...

Many reloaders can cite an example or two where setback doesn't raise chamber pressures drastically. Because of owning several makes of 9mm's, I often times have to seat a particular profile bullet ( Missouri small ball 125 gr cast) MUCH deeper than I would like due to a aftermarket barrel and the XD's " short chambered " barrel. Before I did this, I did back up on the charge, and also worked the OAL down in .020 increments and tested thru another barrel as I went. Once I got to where I needed to be on OAL and also back up on the desired charge, I found no increase in pressure. Again, this was using my gun and a particular powder.

The dangerous part of setback is just because (1) particular load in a particular gun didn't show signs of pressure, it doesn't mean another load wouldn't show drastic signs. There are too many variables to be condsidered... What are the pressures of the original load before the setback occured, the burning characteristics of the powder used, probably even the gun itself could play a role. I find it best to do the same as the video. Once it is noticed and not too extreme, kick it out and shoot it. If in doubt, pull the bullet !

Lastly, I notice .357 SIG is very prone to setback. I highly suspect it's due to such a small bearing surface due to the short neck. I know most realize that holding the bullet secure is more the function of proper case/mouth tension on the bullet rather than the crimp, but I have noticed a few times in some calibers setback occurs more rapidly once the bullet is broken loose from the crimp. What initially appears to be very little setback with each chambering can increase fairly rapidly once it starts moving.

Again, thanks for posting the video... regardless of factory ammo or reloads, shooter should pay attention to this.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I just seen your video, im glad I subscribed to your YT channel.
    I left a question in the comments but I guess I will have more answers if I leave it here.

What do you do with a round that has too much setback?

It would be dangerous to fire it at the range, you cant just throw it away in the trash either.
    Do they have a special place at the range where you can leave your dammaged rounds where it can be destroyed safely after?

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Terrific video! Seeing is believing. I will pay more attention to bullet set back as I typically just rotate my chambered round to the bottom of the magazine during cleaning.:yesway:.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I just seen your video, im glad I subscribed to your YT channel.
    I left a question in the comments but I guess I will have more answers if I leave it here.

What do you do with a round that has too much setback?

It would be dangerous to fire it at the range, you cant just throw it away in the trash either.
    Do they have a special place at the range where you can leave your dammaged rounds where it can be destroyed safely after?

Excellent question. You could get a bullet puller.. :dunno:

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I appreciate this post. After watching your review, I inspected the JHPs (Hornaday Critical Defense) that I carry in my G19. And sure enough, the top round in each magazine was indeed set lower in its casing than the other rounds. Prior to watching your review, this isn't something that I'd have thought to check.

Funny... I conducted this inspection on the line at ECPR (the INGO 9/11 event today). One of the ROs walked by as I was on one knee, eyeballing the little soldiers. "You watched full-auto's review, too?" he says.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I appreciate this post. After watching your review, I inspected the JHPs (Hornaday Critical Defense) that I carry in my G19. And sure enough, the top round in each magazine was indeed set lower in its casing than the other rounds. Prior to watching your review, this isn't something that I'd have thought to check.

Funny... I conducted this inspection on the line at ECPR (the INGO 9/11 event today). One of the ROs walked by as I was on one knee, eyeballing the little soldiers. "You watched full-auto's review, too?" he says.

I didn't know about this shoot today. Is there a thread with pics or video?

I went to a cool training facility on Sat, I'll post the video later this week. I didn't get to do much shooting but what little I did was great, you'll see why in the video.

Top Bottom