• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    Is there any shotshell data for Bullseye out there, older data perhaps?

I got everything to start loading shotshells so far but no book, yet. I have a few other powders but figured bullseye would be easier to find data for :n00b:, I was wrong. I also have 2400 and #2 if I can use these instead.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    I doubt very seriously that you'll find any data for Bullseye in a shot shell. IIRC, Bullseye is a very fast burning powder, much too fast for the large volumes of shotgun shells.

Lots of new powder on the market, but the older ones, Red Dot, 700X, Green Dot, Clays, etc. will have scads of data available.

Don't shortchange yourself by trying to "use what you have on hand". Get some powder designed to be used in shot shells.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is usually a good idea to try to use the powders you already have on hand. There are a couple of factors in finding your answer. First, you need to state what shotshell gauge you are loading for. 20 gauge takes a lot different powder than 12 guage. 2400 will work for .410, but not the other gauges. There used to be some loads for 12 gauge, heavy payloads loads using Hercules Bullseye powder. It did not work very well, so they quit publishing it. You are way better off to get some shotshell powder that fits your application. Remember, that shotgun is only designed for about 1/5th the pressure of a rifle. I am kind of a trap and sporting clays fan, and I reload sporting shells for 12, 20,28 and .410. I'll help where i can. Good Luck

4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    I'm loading 12 gauge with downrange xl1 wads and (for now) STS hulls. I found some data for NO. 2 and loaded 2 shells but had a lot of unburnt powder down the tube.

I will probably go with red or blue dot later but I'm broke for a couple weeks

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Red Dot is a good powder for your application. Also, don't forget Hodgdons "CLAYS", it is very good and a little cleaner. Be advised, that there is more than one heat range in the CLAYS line. International clays and Universal clays are on the slow side for trap loads. The one that just says "CLAYS" is probably the one you want. Good Luck

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Those supplies should get you a lot of good shells. I never used cheddites, but those who do said they worked fine. I am told that the cheddites are a little larger diameter and stretch the primer pocket a little the first time. This is only a problem if you switch back to Remington primers. The domestic primers will be too loose. As cheap as used hulls are, just keep them seperate or throw them away if you switch primer brands. I know you will have lots of data available for CLAYS powder. www.hodgdon.com has a good interactive data information system. Good Luck

Top Bottom