• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've bought,sold and traded many things in my lifetime and am curious what others think about traveling to make a deal FTF. My thinking is,if I'm trading,I try to meet half way. If I'm buying,I expect to drive to the sellers location. If I'm selling,I don't plan on traveling very far. I try to accommodate people within reason but there seems to be a new trend with buyers nowadays,wanting you to drive miles to meet them. It seems to be more with guns or accessories but I had one person who wanted me to drive 50 miles to buy a truck I had for sale. I've never had this problem here on INGO but just wanted to see what other members thought.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I consider the meeting location as part of the terms of the deal. When buying, selling and trading I usually consider a meet halfway to be expected. I'll adjust my end of the bargain accordingly if either a buyer or a seller requires that I come all the way to them. I guess I've never had any set expectations that buyers travel, sellers stay put, and traders meet in the middle.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    . I try to accommodate people within reason but there seems to be a new trend with buyers nowadays,wanting you to drive miles to meet them..

Not to :horse: but as a seller you can always say no. When posting an item that can't be shipped to an online market place that exceeds your local town, expect to get offers that require you to travel.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    Seems to happen to me frequently on craigslist. I post with a general location (greenwood / south side) then again i post in the add saying i am not willing to go any further north than downtown. And yet i still get people, who think my $10 item is worth me driving clear up to noblesville because their vehicle is broken down. I try to respectfully tell them it isnt worth the gas and time for such a small amount and they offer to meet me halfway. Which to them is carmel. Craigslist logic...

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    Being on the border with Kentucky and most Ingoers at or north of the Indy line, its just a fact of life that I'll be travelling quite a bit for almost any trade/ sale/ purchase. I figure the cost of gas for a 2 1/2 hour round trip into the offer and adjust down from there. If they are driving to me, I always cut the price accordingly, often quite substantially for a local deal. The SUV is a cruel mistress.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Before I joined INGO, I once had an Armslist buyer insist I bring my item literally to his front door, roughly an hour drive for me. No way, no how was I willing to do that. While he was haggling over me doing the lion's share of the traveling, another buyer happily purchased my item at a nearby public place.

On the next email exchange, I won't deny that it was quite satisfying to tell the first potential buyer that my item had sold.

RUSH2112

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    In a van, by a river
    If I am selling, I generally ignore requests for me to drive to them. Sorry, but if you can't put the gas money together to get to me, you probably shouldn't be buying my 5.56 ammo to begin with! Lol

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    If I am selling, I generally ignore requests for me to drive to them. Sorry, but if you can't put the gas money together to get to me, you probably shouldn't be buying my 5.56 ammo to begin with! Lol

I doubt that it's always about not being able to "put the gas money together". As someone said, a buyer has to add the money he'll spend in gas to his purchase price. Not as big a deal on a large item, but for small stuff, it matters. That 5.56 you're selling for - say - a little less than 50¢ per round - gets a bit pricey when the guy has to drive 50 miles round trip in his pickup or SUV. What's that? You want 60¢ per round? I rest my case!

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I doubt that it's always about not being able to "put the gas money together". As someone said, a buyer has to add the money he'll spend in gas to his purchase price. Not as big a deal on a large item, but for small stuff, it matters. That 5.56 you're selling for - say - a little less than 50¢ per round - gets a bit pricey when the guy has to drive 50 miles round trip in his pickup or SUV. What's that? You want 60¢ per round? I rest my case!

but in the same respect, if the buyer is not willing to drive a distance for a below retail deal, then why would they bother to ask to seller to drive the same distance? at that rate, its almost giving the product away.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    It depends on the deal. Most times a deal will be lost due to someone wanting me to drive too far and accept their offer of not enough cash. If I want it bad enough ill drive and I don't expect people to give me a discount for doing so

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    And this might just be me, but I consider myself a hoarder in some ways. I only purchase things after a lot of consideration and after I'm sure it is something I will keep long term. So usually the only time I am willing to sell something is because I am hurting for money and need to let my least needed items go to make ends meet. So driving out of my way, spending money I dont have, usually doesn't help the situation.

CharlesGoodnight

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    My time is worth a lot, but many people don't value their time or yours. I think it depends greatly on one's circumstances. If someone needs the cash badly enough, they will travel.

It also depends on the dollar value of the item. For instance, I will travel a good distance to look at a boat (i.e. considerable savings). But if the dollar value is small/smaller - I might go 30-45 minutes max. Halfway is fair if it is a win-win.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I've bought,sold and traded many things in my lifetime and am curious what others think about traveling to make a deal FTF. My thinking is,if I'm trading,I try to meet half way. If I'm buying,I expect to drive to the sellers location. If I'm selling,I don't plan on traveling very far. I try to accommodate people within reason but there seems to be a new trend with buyers nowadays,wanting you to drive miles to meet them. It seems to be more with guns or accessories but I had one person who wanted me to drive 50 miles to buy a truck I had for sale. I've never had this problem here on INGO but just wanted to see what other members thought.

All depends on the deal, and mostly negotiable on gun and gun related items.

That said, I'd never expect someone selling a vehicle to drive it to me though. Guess I'm old school, but on a vehicle, I'd expect as a buyer to travel to the location where the vehicle is.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    All depends on the deal, and mostly negotiable on gun and gun related items.

That said, I'd never expect someone selling a vehicle to drive it to me though. Guess I'm old school, but on a vehicle, I'd expect as a buyer to travel to the location where the vehicle is.

I'm opposite of that. When it comes to a vehicle, I will meet halfway. Reason being, if I am looking for a good running car, and it can't make it halfway home, why would I want to buy it?

I guess i could understand the issue of the seller not having another way home, but I would want to ensure there are no hidden issues on the trip home.

rdb700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Southern IN
    Depending on the item and value but I try to meet half way. Our son a couple years ago had a guy wanting to trade a car for his motorcycle. After driving 45 min. the guy shows up in a different car, then starts trying to argue and running his mouth about his POS. Some people are absolute idiots and think their junk is worth a mint.

Top Bottom