• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I am interested in buying a long gun from a resident of Illinois just across the state line an was hoping to do a face to face buy in Indiana.

I know all handguns that are interstate sale must go through FFL. Does this apply to long guns? Trying to save $$ on shipping and ffl fee.

Thanks
    bw210

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    If you have already checked it out as not stolen, take your money to Illinois, pay for it, put it in your trunk, and go home [observing the speed limit at all times].

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    if he is the one transporting across the state line form Illinois to Indiana i don't see what you have to worry about. you don't need to FFL to transfer face to face in Indiana. i would think it wouldn't be any different then doing a FTF deal with anyone of us. but i'm not a lawyer, so i could be wrong.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    if he is the one transporting across the state line form Illinois to Indiana i don't see what you have to worry about. you don't need to FFL to transfer face to face in Indiana. i would think it wouldn't be any different then doing a FTF deal with anyone of us. but i'm not a lawyer, so i could be wrong.

If anything, it's the guy coming to INDIANA, that should be worrying, cause he's the one crossing the STATE line:twocents:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Take it for what it's worth, this is what another INGO member posted when I asked the similar question;

This is a quote from ATF's website:
    Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]
    If the person you are buying the long gun from out-of-state is not an FFL dealer, then it is unlawful to purchase the long gun. Handguns may not be purchased from a private party or dealer out of state without having it transferred to a dealer in your state, in this case, Indiana.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Lots of bad advice to the OP in this thread. :noway:

You're going to need a minimum of 1 FFL transfer involved for this to be legal.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I have bought shotguns from out of state people before and it has to be shipped to a FFL, and you pick it up and do the paper work, to be legal. He does not have to ship it through a FFL.

Dave

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ANY and ALL firearms transactions where the buyer and seller reside in different states must go through an FFL and a 4473 filled out to be legal.

The easiest way would be for the seller to come to IN with the firearm, both of you go to an FFL, pay for and get the transfer done, fill out the 4473 and go on your merry way.

Long-guns can be transferred in either the buyer's or seller's state of residence (provided the states share a border). Handguns must go through an FFL in the buyer's state.

The above is the case in the majority of situations.

-J-

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've heard, not seen, but heard, that the BATFE sometimes tries to do stings in which they try to get people doing otherwise legal things, to do something technically illegal. I feel it should be perfectly legal to buy ftf across state lines, but Big Brother feels differently...CYA.... let him take it to a gun store here, and then transfer it...he could be a plant!?

Last edited:

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Thanks for the responses. I guess its off to the ffl. I just hate waiting 5 business days to pick up MY firearm after its been paid for. Happens every time - guess I should be use to it by now.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the responses. I guess its off to the ffl. I just hate waiting 5 business days to pick up MY firearm after its been paid for. Happens every time - guess I should be use to it by now.

If he comes to IN, there's no waiting period...

You will have to abide by Illinois' waiting period if the transfer is done in IL, of course.

While it's LEGAL, there may be an issue with the FFL-holder willing to transfer to an IN resident. (either to avoid hassle or out of ignorance of the law). Best discuss that, and the transfer fee, with the FFL holder first.

It might end up being easier for the feller to come to you rather than you go to him. Especially if the transfer fee is much lower from an IN FFL. Could always offer the guy a few bucks' worth for gasoline to help.

-J-

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    If he comes to IN, there's no waiting period...

You will have to abide by Illinois' waiting period if the transfer is done in IL, of course.

It might end up being easier for the feller to come to you rather than you go to him. Especially if the transfer fee is much lower from an IN FFL. Could always offer the guy a few bucks' worth for gasoline to help.

-J-

Unfortunately, I must fall into the permanent "cooling off and delayed" group as I have been delayed in Indiana for over 40 ffl purchases in the last 20 years. We'll definitely do the ffl transfer at my local gun shop... I only pay $15. I have heard about highway robbery ffl fees at other places.

Top Bottom