Calling all GLOCK experts...HELP needed!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Alright. I have been having problems with me G35 limited gun lately that killed me at the state match yesterday.
    PROBLEM: My mags will seemingly randomly drop after typically 4-6 rounds being fired. Also, the round fired before it drops won't be ejected (it will stovepipe, but usually not completely).
    Easy answer would be that I am pushing on the mag release while firing, but I dont think this is the case at all. I have been using this gun with same type of mag release with no problems for 4-5 years now and have never had these problems before.

In an attempt to fix the problem I switched out my mag release because the plastic catch seemed worn and I figured it wasn't holding the mags securely. This worked for a few matches, but since this was going on so randomly I guess it didn't fix the problem.

This also happens with different mags (brand new ones and older ones). So I don't think it is a problem with my mags.

CHANGES I'VE MADE RECENTLY:
    I put in a Vanek trigger not to long ago. I shot a few matches with no problems, then this garbage started up. I replaced the striker and spring when I changed out the trigger. I also replaced the recoil spring (same 13lbs, just new spring).

Any of you guys have any experience with this before?

I would think that it was me inadvertently hitting the mag release, but why would I get the jam if it was just the mag release (I am shooting just about 170 power factor so ammo shouldn't be the cause)?

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    When you replaced the magazine release did you replace the spring in the frame for it and did you set the spring in the correct position, did it snap into place? That the only think I can think of is the spring. I hope this helps. There was a video on the inter-net about this if I can find it I will post it here.

Strip the slide off the frame. Look down the frame. There you will see a small notch in the frame where a flat piece of wire is holding the mag release in with spring tension. Grab a flathead screwdriver, push the wire spring to the right and out in the notch in the mag release. Pull out you old slide release. The new one will only fit in only way. Pry the spring back so the new mag release will fit under the spring. Using the screwdriver again, move the spring to the right and back into the notch.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am not a glock EXPERT by any means, but I can take mine down completely and I understand how it works and everything. If it was my gun i would work my way back and reinstall the stock parts until the problem stops and then go from there. The recoil spring could be causing the stovepipes if it is too heavy and the shell cant get all the way out. A weak mag catch spring could cause the dropping mags, sounds like it could be a few things.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    When you replaced the magazine release did you replace the spring in the frame for it and did you set the spring in the correct position, did it snap into place? That the only think I can think of is the spring. I hope this helps. There was a video on the inter-net about this if I can find it I will post it here.

Strip the slide off the frame. Look down the frame. There you will see a small notch in the frame where a flat piece of wire is holding the mag release in with spring tension. Grab a flathead screwdriver, push the wire spring to the right and out in the notch in the mag release. Pull out you old slide release. The new one will only fit in only way. Pry the spring back so the new mag release will fit under the spring. Using the screwdriver again, move the spring to the right and back into the notch.
    Yea It's in there the correct way. The problem started before I changed the mag release, I changed the release because I thought that was causing the problem.

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    hey goon, im no smith, nor claim to be one, but can i ask ya are the mags OEM glock? and one more question is how do the notches on the mags (that hold them in place) look?

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    hey goon, im no smith, nor claim to be one, but can i ask ya are the mags OEM glock? and one more question is how do the notches on the mags (that hold them in place) look?
    Yea the new ones I have are fine (a few little marks), the ones I've been using a while are a little more ragged, but I can't pull them out no matter how hard I try with the catch engaged.

Top Bottom