• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I throw this out knowing we have many techies here and hopefully someone has had this same problem....

As part of a new business the company I work for has gone into, I have the wonderful task of setting up 50 new ESX servers and around 300 virtual machines on them. The VMs are easy (all PXE/autoYast based, ill just kick off the process overnight and be done by the time I roll in in the morning), but in their infinite wisdom management never asked for details on servers to buy and the raid controllers need extra drivers to be recognized (3ware/lsi cards).

Normally we PXE/ks install ESX itself, but you cannot load extra drivers that way (this is ESX not ESXi, so no oem.tgz). So far all my attempts to crack open the initrd.img file and add them in that way have failed... so my hope is someone here has done that and can give me some help on how you did it. I REALY don't want to have to set them all up by hand, as that will kill a week of my life.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Ive tried that unfortunately, no dice. Installer just ignores the new drivers, or fails to load them.

Wonderful thing about PXE is there is no need to remaster and iso, just push the init image to the server :D

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Hey man, Im glad for any help... this is driving me insane trying to figure out how to get it done...

And I have a sickening sensation this is going to happen again soon...

Top Bottom