• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Boy, these incidents just seem to pop up more and more these days, don't they? Kind of makes one wonder how often this crap happens and it doesn't get videotaped.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    always thought cops were "legal" thugs, I guess this kind of proves that huh?

I wouldn't go that far.

However, it does show that: 1. what is in police reports is not what happened, 2. that police have reason to fear cameras.

Wouldn't you like to have a camera at Officer Bisard's OWI investigation?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The more this stuff comes out, the more I think every citizen contact with police should be recorded.

I think eventually it will be illegal everywhere to record the police, though.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'l admit that I haven't been following this issue too closely. So let me ask a question or two of those of you who have.

1. Is this ocurring any any states that aren't 2-party states when it comes to wiretap law?
    2. My impression is that this is an extension of those states' wiretap laws, i.e. you can't record audio unless both parties consent. Is that correct?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Drunk guys impersonating cops don't care for it either

Methinks there will be more on this when the cover story falls apart.

1. Is this ocurring any any states that aren't 2-party states when it comes to wiretap law?
    2. My impression is that this is an extension of those states' wiretap laws, i.e. you can't record audio unless both parties consent. Is that correct?

1. Yes, in New York it is perfectly fine to record the police, but Officer Jerry Garcia took objection to it.

2. Could be wiretap, could be something else. Depends on how that state's wiretap or invasion of privacy statute is written.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I wondered. If they're coming from the wiretap angle, the answer could be as simple as disabling/disconnecting the camera's microphone.

Wiretap doesn't apply to video, iirc, only audio. If it did, lots of CCTV cameras would be breaking the law daily. I'm pretty sure it only applies to audio.

Could it be that simple?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Coser, I think you are thinking about the wrong problem.

In New York it is perfectly legal to record the officer as was done, sound or no sound. The officer still objected and acted the way he did.

Wiretap doesn't apply to video, iirc, only audio. If it did, lots of CCTV cameras would be breaking the law daily. I'm pretty sure it only applies to audio.

Wiretapping may apply to video, depending on how the state's statute is written.

Just like anytime you have a question about your lease, or warranty, or a state's wiretapping statute, read the statute first.:)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Kirk is right. Don't accept their definitions. Challenge them to prove that filming an act done in public is wiretapping. It has nothing to do with the very definition of wiretapping. Also, it is done in public where they have no expectation of privacy.

Don't accept a lie as the starting point of your argument or you will have lost before you started. Challenge them to prove the lie before you go anywhere.

Top Bottom