• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I usually go camping elsewhere but I was wondering if anyone was aware of a place to camp in northwest indiana? Mind you, I want to hike a bit if possible and I don't want an electrical hook up. Just wilderness camping.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    We are wondering the same thing. Almost nothing around here that is just in the sticks. Everything has electric, toilets, and what not. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Hoping to just do a couple nights in the middle of the month.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Indiana Dunes NATIONAL Lakeshore has a campground that, I believe, is all "primitive" (no hookups). I haven't been there so I don't know anything else about it.
    Indiana Dunes STATE parks' campground sites all have electric, but no h2o.
    The national lakeshore has some very nice trails.

I was going to say the same thing.

I think Warren Dunes in MI may have some options also, but it's been a while and I could be mistaken.

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    Potato Creek state park near South Bend doesn't have primative camping but, it offers a great place to hike, bike, fish or swim.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I like the Willow Slough idea, but I found this on the website:
    Camping
    Camping, picnicking, and open campfires are allowed in designated areas only. Unloaded firearms, unstrung bows and arrows, and air guns may be possessed, but not used in camping and picnic areas. All weapons must be stored or carried in a case, or locked within a vehicle while in these areas. No swimming is allowed.

Even with a LTCH?

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I like the Willow Slough idea, but I found this on the website:
    Camping
    Camping, picnicking, and open campfires are allowed in designated areas only. Unloaded firearms, unstrung bows and arrows, and air guns may be possessed, but not used in camping and picnic areas. All weapons must be stored or carried in a case, or locked within a vehicle while in these areas. No swimming is allowed.

Even with a LTCH?

With an LTCH you are good to go. I'm going to call this morning, we plan on going 4/20 weekend.

Edit: I just got off the phone. It's $5 a night in off season and $12 after may 1st. No running water or toilets in the off season. Asked about carrying, her exact words: "we've never really had a problem with that, so we don't really enforce it."

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    With an LTCH you are good to go. I'm going to call this morning, we plan on going 4/20 weekend.

Edit: I just got off the phone. It's $5 a night in off season and $12 after may 1st. No running water or toilets in the off season. Asked about carrying, her exact words: "we've never really had a problem with that, so we don't really enforce it."

Unless it's an Army Corp of Engineers facility, there is nothing to enforce. It's legal.

Top Bottom