Can someone recamend a sharpener for S30v?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I have 3 ZT knives now. The 0350 the 301 and the ZT-9. The edge on all of them is great so far. But I would like to have the tools and knowledge to maintain the edge.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I use stones for all of my knives. I've got a Spyderco Sharpmaker, but I just never got it to work like others do. So it's stones and free-hand sharpening for me.

It takes time, but it's very therapeutic.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    get you a good strop and after each use just run them on the strop to bring the edge back and your good to go :)

other than that pretty much any system will work or actual stones and practice on cheap knives first. the key is to just not get discouraged.

jumbopanda

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    I like using a 1x30 belt sander with 600 grit belts (you can go higher if you want) and then finishing on a leather strop (also run on the sander).

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If you've got the skill and patience, free hand stones. If you are feeling really spiritual and become a master in them, Japanese Water Stones. ;)

A Spyderco Sharpmaker works fine. An EdgePro will makes even a slob seem like a master sharpening guru.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I like to use wet/dry sand paper on a flat hard surface and freehand. But I guess that's pretty much as a wet stone. The Zt 0350 and 0301 are kind of tough though because of the recurve in the blade.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I like to use wet/dry sand paper on a flat hard surface and freehand. But I guess that's pretty much as a wet stone. The Zt 0350 and 0301 are kind of tough though because of the recurve in the blade.

LoL. Got that right. Recurve blades are a total pain to try and sharpen with stones. You should see the frustration on my face when I'm trying to sharpen my Kershaw Speed Bump.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I have lost track of how many S30V knives I have, but I know I've run some through both a Sharpmaker and a V Sharp, both with diamond hones. Both build a good edge but I'd not want to do it without diamonds.

Top Bottom