Can you privately buy a suppressed pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Yes you still have to go through the ATF and pay the 200$ tax stamp. I am not sure which form it is but im sure someone will stop in soon that will fill you in.

Edit: See before I even got this posted..

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Say someone had a pistol up for sale that came pre-installed with a threaded barrel and can. Is there any type of paperwork you have to do to be in compliance?

You can take possession of the pistol right away. You would have to wait on the Form 4 to come back to take possession of the can as was mentioned above.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    So how could the individual sell the can outright? He'd have to hold it, and the buyer would have to trust he doesn't sell it elsewhere or just not give it back? :dunno:

Just make the sale "pending" until the Form went through?

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    So how could the individual sell the can outright? He'd have to hold it, and the buyer would have to trust he doesn't sell it elsewhere or just not give it back? :dunno:

If you can't trust a person to not resell something you already paid for, maybe you shouldn't be buying title 2 weapons from them to begin with...

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Couldnt you go through a class 3 dealer and the dealer would have possession until the forms were returned from the ATF?

Yes, ATF says it is ok for an SOT to have an item like this in the store as long as it is locked up in a “lock box” which is only accessible to the current owner. At Beech Grove Firearms we use either heavy duty tool boxes for small items or the large work site tool chests for large items (1919’s etc.)

If you can't trust a person to not resell something you already paid for, maybe you shouldn't be buying title 2 weapons from them to begin with...

Lots of truth in this also!!!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Just make the sale "pending" until the Form went through?

You're worried about a suppressor.... imagine giving a seller $10-15000 for an M16 and waiting for that transfer to go through. =)

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I was in the same position a few day's ago, but the one i was looking at was a machine gun. Here is what i was told, not word for word, but here is the main point. Don't worry as much about the deal because it is registered, so it would be to easy to prove you made a deal, and then it would be a federal case to deal with. So anyway, i would not worry about doing a deal, just cover your but, check serial numbers, take pictures, take everything but the receiver, double check serial numbers, get a receipt, and i did copies of drivers license for both of us. Thanks go to the guy's at 21st Century for all there help.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Couldnt you go through a class 3 dealer and the dealer would have possession until the forms were returned from the ATF?

Unless you use the lockbox method described, then, I would think it would be an illegal transfer to the dealer... Can an individual Form 3 to an SOT? And I'll give another +1 to not buying from them if you don't think you can trust them...

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    yes an individual can form 3 to a sot

I don't believe that is correct. If an individual could form 3 to an SOT then all these two tax (interstate) transfers wouldn't require the two taxes. An individual can form4 to an SOT and then the SOT can put it on a form 3.....

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I don't believe that is correct. If an individual could form 3 to an SOT then all these two tax (interstate) transfers wouldn't require the two taxes. An individual can form4 to an SOT and then the SOT can put it on a form 3.....
    That's how I understand it. Transfers to dealers are only tax exempt if it comes from another dealer/manufacturer.

Top Bottom