• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Depends on what side you're looking at it from.

I would argue those old promises are doing exactly what they were intended to do.
    I hear ya. They may be having the intended effect of those that were promising them but they certainly fail to deliver on the promises they were sold on to the public that voted for them.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

“Real Change” – Canada’s Violent Crime, Homicide Rates Hit Historical Highs
    I was just visiting the "murder capital of Canada" Winnepeg a couple of weeks ago. They have the highest murder rate in Canada at 5 per 100,000 residents. Yup...5. Indy has 27 per 100,000. Our murder capitol IS actually our Capitol, Wash DC, at 49 per 100,000 residents. Their increase in crime rates is still a drop in the bucket compared to our crime rates. So it's relative. Can you say their super low crime rates is BECAUSE of their gun ban but it's slowly on the rise? OR It's so low because it's a different culture than the US with a vastly different history, wants, needs? I wouldn't hold this as an example of gun control NOT working. It's not a fair comparison.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Canada has historically had low crime, specifically gun crime. So any increase will likely seem huge by their historic standards. Having said that, they have extreme gun restrictions and yet the rate of gun crime is still rising. So I think it's fair to view their gun laws as ineffective.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Canada has historically had low crime, specifically gun crime. So any increase will likely seem huge by their historic standards. Having said that, they have extreme gun restrictions and yet the rate of gun crime is still rising. So I think it's fair to view their gun laws as ineffective.
    A rising statistic is not an automatic failure. It will take more time and crime to flesh that out.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    A rising statistic is not an automatic failure. It will take more time and crime to flesh that out.
    We aren't talking about a single year increase. This has been increasing for almost a decade, with larger percentage increases in the last year. I think that's a pretty good indicator that criminals don't care nor pay attention to laws.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We aren't talking about a single year increase. This has been increasing for almost a decade, with larger percentage increases in the last year. I think that's a pretty good indicator that criminals don't care nor pay attention to laws.
    Their "large increase" is still very small. They have hardly any crime period. Hypothetical. You have a City of 500,000 and you have 6 homicides one year and 9 the next, statistically, that's a big jump (50%). But in reality, it's still a TINY amount overall. 50% increase sounds impressive. But like ALL statistics, needs more data to determine what that actually means. Until then, it can be bent to show almost anything. AS law abiding gun owners, we see it ALL THE TIME.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Their "large increase" is still very small. They have hardly any crime period. Hypothetical. You have a City of 500,000 and you have 6 homicides one year and 9 the next, statistically, that's a big jump (50%). But in reality, it's still a TINY amount overall. 50% increase sounds impressive. But like ALL statistics, needs more data to determine what that actually means. Until then, it can be bent to show almost anything. AS law abiding gun owners, we see it ALL THE TIME.
    If this was a one year thing sure. A decade of steady increase? No. That’s data showing something that was supposed to “fix” the problem didn’t work.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was just visiting the "murder capital of Canada" Winnepeg a couple of weeks ago. They have the highest murder rate in Canada at 5 per 100,000 residents. Yup...5. Indy has 27 per 100,000. Our murder capitol IS actually our Capitol, Wash DC, at 49 per 100,000 residents. Their increase in crime rates is still a drop in the bucket compared to our crime rates. So it's relative. Can you say their super low crime rates is BECAUSE of their gun ban but it's slowly on the rise? OR It's so low because it's a different culture than the US with a vastly different history, wants, needs? I wouldn't hold this as an example of gun control NOT working. It's not a fair comparison.
    As someone who has vacationed in Canada every year for the last 20 years (except covid years) This is the issue. Culture is FAR different up there. Maybe its because I visit avery rural community? I dunno. But there is a noticeable difference between them and us.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Few thoughts…

Crime in Canada is so low, and the left STILL uses as it as an excuse for more gun control. Hmm…

Also, there’s no simple correlation (or very little) between the two data points of crime rate and private firearm ownership in country to country comparisons. Plenty of outliers. Weird cloud of scattered points in the middle. This indicates, as Denny suggests it’s a more complicated social/cultural issue - but it may also be the most useful thing country to country comparisons tell us.

Crime rates in the same location/country before/after gun control/shall-issue laws, etc. are pretty interesting over shorter time horizons. In such cases the other social/cultural variables are more constant. The tendency there seems to be more guns, less crime (nod to John Lott).

Top Bottom