• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alphabrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    I have been shooting for a while but I just cannot get my wife interested, or my daughters, in shooting guns. What does it take?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I taught wife and daughter the fundamentals and that is about as far as it went. She can't get my interested in sewing, so I guess she has something to complain about too. Maybe shooting isn't their "thing".

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I taught wife and daughter the fundamentals and that is about as far as it went. She can't get my interested in sewing, so I guess she has something to complain about too. Maybe shooting isn't their "thing".

This. ^^^^ One should not expect others to be interested in their pursuits.

However, if you get them to go to a range with you, I have two suggestions:

Go to an outdoor range on a nice day and take her/them out for a nice lunch, ice cream or coffee to enhance the trip.

And two, just take your .22 for them to shoot.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    Be greatful you have a hobby that you can get away too! The desire to go shooting with you or be interested in guns shouldnt be the push , instead just make certain they understand how they work and they know how to use them. Maybe after a little instruction from someone other than a spouse or father they will take a likeing to it.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I continually showed mine videos and news reports of home invasions and violent crimes committed against innocent and unsuspecting people who had no means or understanding of self defense. She did not like the feeling of being vulnerable.

Since our day 1, she new that I had various pieces. Now, she has various pieces of her own (in addition to what is mine is hers) and asks me if I want to go to the range.

Truth be told, she was probably always somewhat curious and the heightened awareness of the danger that exists compelled her to become familiar with the tools that are readily available.

Orrr, she just wanted to see what all the fuss was about...

Either way, I can attest to the fact that she can flat out tear up a paper plate at 7-10 yards with her Shield. I cannot wait to see what she can do with her 92fs.

Prepper Chicks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm a female instructor..let me know if I can help! We get the girls together to shoot and just hang out... think that would interest her, let me know! ~ Lori

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    warsaw
    My husband got me interested through the politics of it all. I got my lifetime permit to carry, and sub compact pistol in case laws went in a way where those things werent as easily available to me. Then i knew i had the responsibility to get training for it, and my interest grew from there

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    This. ^^^^ One should not expect others to be interested in their pursuits.

However, if you get them to go to a range with you, I have two suggestions:

Go to an outdoor range on a nice day and take her/them out for a nice lunch, ice cream or coffee to enhance the trip.

And two, just take your .22 for them to shoot.

Sound advice sir! Don't scare them away on their first trip to the range. Ironically, I think that means you should keep them away from your average INGOer as well...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom