• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Why are we holstering and unholstering to begin with?

I'm with chezuki on this one...if it ain't on your person, in an emergency, most likely, it'll still be in the vehicle if you have to egress in a hurry!

While in a vehicle, summer carry, it's in an OWB RH 3-slot holster in the 4:00 position with my shirt pulled up over and tucked-in behind it while driving (under the seat belt) for quick access.

In the winter, I prefer 3-slot holsters because I carry OWB 10:00 position because I can unzip my vest (preferred winter dress...which I can, typically, leave it on indoors...or coat over a vest, which I can also unzip part-way) and have access to it while I'm riding/driving in a vehicle.

Keep in mind, if the $h!t really hits the fan, and you're in a parked vehicle, you'll want to be able to exit the vehicle very quickly...and be able to move around and use it as a shield (behind wheels or engine area) if possible. If you remain in your vehicle, most likely you're in a 'fixed' position and your assailant is mobile...meaning he can move around (change your angle of defense) while he can change his angle of attack...not a good situation to have to defend.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm with chezuki on this one...if it ain't on your person, in an emergency, most likely, it'll still be in the vehicle if you have to egress in a hurry!

This is a good point, but the flip side is the need for emergency access while belted. I guess we need *both* to make sure all our bases are covered! :draw:

Here is how I "mount" mine in my car, I can grab it in less than a second if need be:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have had the opportunity to shoot from a car and aiwb was the only way I could draw without taking my seatbelt off. We used everything from a cheap sticky holster to level 3 safarilands and blackhawks

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    I made my own out of some 1" bonded leather. I know you said you didn't want to use screws, I didn't either, but I did a test and can't see the hole through the fabric when they are removed. I have to unholster because I have kids that need to be picked up from the school. If I want it hidden I drape a black 12x12 piece of leather that I bought from Hobby Lobby over the grip Car 1.jpg Car 2.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have to unholster because I have kids that need to be picked up from the school.

Nope. Still no need to unholster. In fact, your gerry-rigged "car holster" doesn't meet the legal requirements for leaving a firearm in your vehicle on school grounds. Choose a quality carry holster that allows you to remove the holstered pistol from your belt as one unit and secure it out of sight.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Nope. Still no need to unholster. In fact, your gerry-rigged "car holster" doesn't meet the legal requirements for leaving a firearm in your vehicle on school grounds. Choose a quality carry holster that allows you to remove the holstered pistol from your belt as one unit and secure it out of sight.
    If he has to leave his car to get his kids, yep. Needs to unholster. And if he uses a piece of leather to cover up his gun before locking his car, that does meet the requirements, iirc.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    For the guys who don't have their holster physically secured to the vehicle... have you thought about where you weapon might end up in a crash/impact? Will you be able to reach/find it?

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine

Well, according to Indiana code IC 35-47-9-1 http://iga.in.gov/static-documents/0/e/3/1/0e310c20/TITLE35_AR47_ch9.pdf

(5) Except as provided in subsection (b) or (c), a person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses only a firearm that is:
    (i) locked in the trunk of the person's motor vehicle;
    (ii) kept in the glove compartment of the person's lockedmotor vehicle; or
    (iii) stored out of plain sight in the person's locked motorvehicle.

Can you please supply the place where you got you information from? I don't want to do anything illegal. I have to walk my kids across the parking lot and pick them up from inside the school.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well, according to Indiana code IC 35-47-9-1 http://iga.in.gov/static-documents/0/e/3/1/0e310c20/TITLE35_AR47_ch9.pdf

(5) Except as provided in subsection (b) or (c), a person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses only a firearm that is:
    (i) locked in the trunk of the person's motor vehicle;
    (ii) kept in the glove compartment of the person's lockedmotor vehicle; or
    (iii) stored out of plain sight in the person's locked motorvehicle.

Can you please supply the place where you got you information from? I don't want to do anything illegal. I have to walk my kids across the parking lot and pick them up from inside the school.

Reading fail on my part... I just saw the pic and missed the "cover it up" part. I sill would prefer an option where unholstering is not required. Any time you holster or unholster a firearm is an opportunity for an accident.

pilotof727s

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    New Palestine
    Reading fail on my part... I just saw the pic and missed the "cover it up" part. I sill would prefer an option where unholstering is not required. Any time you holster or unholster a firearm is an opportunity for an accident.

No problem. I take firearms and safety very seriously. I keep up with all of the laws and if I missed a change I would like to know about it. I don't want to be breaking any laws.

Top Bottom