• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I don't see a regular pair of wire cutters getting through this cable. Bolt cutters? Probably. I'm banking on the fact that I doubt many "smash and grab" car thieves are packing a 10 lb pair of bolt cutters with them. :yesway:

I have one for the rare ocassion where I need to leave it in the car. I agree regular hand tools are unlikely to work. A mini hack saw? Dunno. I think that a mini bolt cutter ( 8 inch or so) would have a chance. It does it's job......keeping me from becoming a felon because someone stile my gun. (Yes that's a crime here)

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have one for the rare ocassion where I need to leave it in the car. I agree regular hand tools are unlikely to work. A mini hack saw? Dunno. I think that a mini bolt cutter ( 8 inch or so) would have a chance. It does it's job......keeping me from becoming a felon because someone stile my gun. (Yes that's a crime here)

That's a tad ridiculous.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    That's a tad ridiculous.

And if they commit a felony with your gun, so do you...

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said: "Massachusetts, where freedom was born, and died"

Although it is apparently legal here to stick a camera or phone up a chick's skirt......In fairness they are making a new law about it.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    I have been looking around, trying to find a deal on a slim safe to tether in my car. I'm traveling for work and stopped by a local bargain store. Just a huge place with all kinds of things that have been liquidated from retailers. I somehow managed to snag this guy for $13.

TSA approved, so I have the option if I want to throw my firearm in my checked luggage. However, about the time I do, they'll lose my luggage.

Great little safe.

I recently picked up a few of them from Tractor Supply for $20 each. Even found 2 that shared the same key which makes one less key I need to carry.

Stack-On Portable Case with Key Lock - Tractor Supply Co.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    $20? My "deal" is getting less and less! Heck, for $20, I may go down to TS and pick up another. I can see it being a handy little guy. One in each of our 3 cars and leave them there.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Check out the one they sell on the NRA store. I've had three of the ones that were pictured first in this thread and they are flimsy when compared to the NRA safe (cost is comparable). The lock system on the NRA one is far superior and the safe itself is much stouter in construction. Of course, any well prepared car thief who has bolt cutters at hand will just snip and run away with the safe but at least the smash and dash variety of criminal is SOL!

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Check out the one they sell on the NRA store. I've had three of the ones that were pictured first in this thread and they are flimsy when compared to the NRA safe (cost is comparable). The lock system on the NRA one is far superior and the safe itself is much stouter in construction. Of course, any well prepared car thief who has bolt cutters at hand will just snip and run away with the safe but at least the smash and dash variety of criminal is SOL!

I am actually very impressed with the weight and build of this safe for the price. Like you said, I'm more worried about the smash and dasher. The punks we have around here aren't that bright and probably won't have the means to cut the included cable.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Don't mean to pry but...

I have a similar one. The cable would probably defeat wire cutters but not a bolt cutter. The issue is the case itself is just not that stout and could easily be pried apart, at least enough to slip the cable out and carry it off. Not a bad value, just don't think of the safe as more than what it is. I like it when traveling and staying with family that has kids, allows me to secure my gun while in their home so the youngsters are safe.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Has anyone tried this type of safe that has the combination lock? I've heard that, although handy, they are prone to malfunction.

natetheace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Decatur, IN
    If you are on private property that has the right to search your vehicle, can they make you open your car safe up to see what is inside? The same with leo?

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Any thoughts on buying a separate, stronger cable? I remember Krypronite locks/cables being popular with securing bikes, but not sure how those compare with this type of cable.

wooka1ar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2014
    United States
    I think that the safes with tether cables are made to be kept out of site to prevent the random unprepared thief (most thefts are based on ease and opportunity). If left in a position to be seen in plain view, or being told to some one of the safe, it would give the thief means to prepare (by having a bolt cutter ready). One thing is sure, if someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way. We just have to delay/ deter them as much as possible.

Last edited:

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Any thoughts on buying a separate, stronger cable? I remember Krypronite locks/cables being popular with securing bikes, but not sure how those compare with this type of cable.

There would be no way to incorporate a bigger, stronger cable. There is a slot in the side, where the cable is able to pass through. It's a tight fit and a bigger cable will not work.

I think that the safes with tether cables are made to be kept out of site to prevent the random unprepared thief (most theft is based on ease and opportunity). If left in a position to be seen in plain view, or being told to some one of the safe, it would give the thief means to prepare (by having a bolt cutter ready). One thing is sure, if someone wants something bad enough, they will find a way. We just have to delay/ deter them as much as possible.

BINGO!

Top Bottom