• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    Does anyone know what I should do to care for my new boots so they don't crack and leak by next season? Every couple of years I have to buy a new pair of $100+ hunting boots due to cracking. I just bought a new pair and I would like to make them last a few seasons. Someone suggested vacuum sealing them between seasons. I already keep them in a moderatly tempered garage and out of the sun and hot temperatures of the mini-barn. Is there a rub-on preservative? Any tricks would be helpful. Even good tricks for repairing holes in old rubber boots. I have tried rubber roof patches with limited success. Thanks.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I know a ton of folks that are sold on Armor all. Just like the stuff you buy for your vehicle. We use it on our stethoscopes to keep them from cracking from the heat from our necks, works like a charm.

I don't have any experience with rubber boot preservation. But that's what I've got for ya.

HTH RNM

FYI I would do a deep cleaning of the boots before taking them into the field, that's not something you want polluting your stand area with.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    I have a old pair of LaCross that I am still wearing,got them in 1990 or 91 of corse they were made in USA.Rubber bottoms leather upper,LaCross had a rubber conditioner kind of milky white liquid with no scent and use mink oil on the tops,still no cracks or leaks!I don't think they make them like they use to,no matter who's name is on them.Look for the LaCross conditioner it has worked for me,plus I think they were made better year's ago.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    x8GgbFuOZ2z0ypgCpLkHq0ZXa8aaXn3BBFatvEzhWb1ZrTRFo84H_a9JAfhvXrVBLlKfVTPBJ_1jghW2XX9mlcpGmwCQJTgFnNLrJcbaujyxQBtUOKKn7u1YljM-XHSpxg6DJAeTcqjNWFYH4z_9utuH9Tyo5P3K8UiNlGYcpZMaOV0_vc_DVhG1RAghpZn0nHyG4xdu7WGVn_FlGkZK-zHyA4cULIY57n6gVWZS97YiDt7oxKriX5UG08s_kVAJv6NFncEDZrsdA4YGKtIl1qkJMxsV4sTGpAthUxQOBwqX8uF5TDYviG1cfCabrIcC-A72s7yKkylJgeBQiFZHmK69E88TcWJzrepl-Jv41m0P4I8s

I use this on my Mucks and Merrel's.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I have a old pair of LaCross that I am still wearing,got them in 1990 or 91 of corse they were made in USA.Rubber bottoms leather upper,LaCross had a rubber conditioner kind of milky white liquid with no scent and use mink oil on the tops,still no cracks or leaks!I don't think they make them like they use to,no matter who's name is on them.Look for the LaCross conditioner it has worked for me,plus I think they were made better year's ago.
    +1 on the old USA LaCross boots. I have a pair of the green Burly all rubber boots that has to be 10 years old. I have did nothing to preserve them and they are still in good shape and do not leak. They have several miles on them in rough conditions.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a pair from Cabela's that I bought around 1985. They are the ones that look like the LL Bean boots. All I have ever done was keep them clean. No leaks so far.

Flinttim

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    I don't know if there is such a thing as rubber boots anymore. Most likely vinyl. One thing to avoid with vinyl fumes and vapors from gasoline. ie: out in the garage where fuel cans and mowers and such are. The various vinyl protectants would probably be good but keep it off the stitching. We started noticing premature thread rot on cars with vinyl interiors that had been treated with Armor All, Son of Gun, etc, years ago.

Top Bottom