• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Had a fun experience today I thought I'd share. I decided to drive up to Ludington and take the ferry across Lake Michigan. On foot, no car. Obviously gonna be a problem to carry, right? Actually no!

PXL_20230622_105034518.jpg

The FAQ section on the website states:

"Passengers are allowed to travel with weapons, however they are strictly not allowed in passenger areas and must stay on the cardeck. We ask that they stay in a locked case in your vehicle. If you are not traveling with a vehicle, we do have a secure locker that it can be stored in during the duration of your sailing. Please see a crew member for more details."

Well I have to try this, right? I park the car, unload the 442, drop it in a zipper case in my backpack, and get in line.

PXL_20230622_120533573.jpg

Security is honestly pretty rudimentary. They have bomb dogs sniffing cars, and one guy doing cursory bag checks. No metal detectors. I could have walked right on. But, I played the game to see what would happen, and requested to check a weapon. Bag check guy pulls me aside and radios a lovely young woman to come help me out.

She walks me in and shows me a simple padlocked steel cabinet on the car deck. Drop the cased gun in, and fill out a simple ledger sheet showing who has checked what. I'm the only entry for the last few days. Average is less than one declared firearm per trip. I assume most people with guns aren't on foot, and just leave it in the car. Fun fact: There's a "type" section on the ledger. 50% of entries are P365. One Keltec (weirdo). No 1911s.

PXL_20230622_121110731.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230622_120802667.MP.jpg
    Random umbrellas in the gun locker for reasons.

Retreival at the end of the trip is simple. They instructed me to flag down "the mate" (!) and ask for access to the locker. I do, get my stuff, sign it out, and get on my way.

I recommend the whole Badger experience highly. It's the last operational coal fired passenger steamer basically anywhere, doesn't cost much to ride, and is still full of legit 1950s tech and fittings. Several years ago they had to figure out how to stop dumping the coal ash in Lake Michigan to placate the EPA. They figured it out and are now a registered National Historic Landmark. I think I saw them forklifting out bins of coal ash early in the morning. They won't let me ride Great Lakes steamers and haulers for fun (boooo lame) so this is about as close as I can get. Don't miss it if you're a ship nerd.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Pretty neat, and good to know..Could you have just CC'd?
    Totally. The bag check was very cursory. No detectors. Would have been very easy to just conceal and walk through it.

One of their bomb dogs did walk past me on the deck as we were docking, but honestly he seemed more interested in getting pets than finding guns. :dunno:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ive always wanted to do the crossing but timing has never been right. How much is it now for a vehicle?

I was on foot and returned the next day so it was only about $80 for me and the bike round trip. One way in the summer for one person and a car is around $175.

Top Bottom