• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I have done this once before, a rifle case is stuck in my sizer die. I use "One Shot" from Hornady. I don't go nuts with it, but I put enough on to work. I clean out the dies. And tonight when I'm trying to throw together some loads for tomarrow, a case sticks.:xmad: What am I doing wrong, and how do I remove the case from the die? Before I replaced the RCBS dies with Hornady dies. Thanks in advance for input.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think Lee dies are a little diferrent, but I've been lucky when I've stuck a .223 case in my resizer. I simply had to disassmble the die and use some gentle presuasion via a mallet and on ocasion a hammer and an old pice of cleaning rod. Check the manufactures website there are probably som tips on how to do it. Lee will extract the stuck case in their dies for free if one cannot do it themselves. Good luck!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have an aversion to Lee. When I was starting to reload, the Lee factory was not just less than helpful, but downright rude about the whole deal. I swore off Lee products after that experience.

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    You can search for stuck case removers.about all the die companies sell a version. I ama machinist so after looking at several designs I just made my own. Youcan also ship die back to company and they will remove free of charge. Have you already pulled the rim off?

BTW try redding imperial sizing die wax. The best I've ever used.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    One of the things that will get you in trouble is not waiting long enough for the case lube to dry. The solvent has to fully evaporate before the lube can really work. I like the Dillon case lube, but have used the OneShot, Imperial sizing wax, graphite, motor mica powder, STP, and the Frankfort case lube with good results. I have never had any problem due to the brand of dies. The problem was always from me being sloppy and in a hurry.

To clear the die, I take the decapper pin out and tap with a punch. Lots of firm taps, moving the punch around, works better than sledgehammer blows that will knock the bottom out of the case rather than pull the whole thing out. Good Luck

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    One of the things that will get you in trouble is not waiting long enough for the case lube to dry. The solvent has to fully evaporate before the lube can really work. I like the Dillon case lube, but have used the OneShot, Imperial sizing wax, graphite, motor mica powder, STP, and the Frankfort case lube with good results. I have never had any problem due to the brand of dies. The problem was always from me being sloppy and in a hurry.

To clear the die, I take the decapper pin out and tap with a punch. Lots of firm taps, moving the punch around, works better than sledgehammer blows that will knock the bottom out of the case rather than pull the whole thing out. Good Luck

I agree do this.I have had the same experance.

longhuntr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    stuck case

this is the main reason I only use lee dies anymore, a lot easier to get the case out.one way to try is to take the die out of the press. get a large enough socket that will line up with the die.drill and tap the case, or use a heavy duty wood screw. place a washer between the top of the socket and screw to support the screw.when you tighten the screw, it should back the case out enough to get ahold of it and remove.this is only a down and dirty method if you don't have a case remover and don't want to wait. Good luck.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the thoughts. I have an aversion to Lee. When I was starting to reload, the Lee factory was not just less than helpful, but downright rude about the whole deal. I swore off Lee products after that experience.
    I guess everyone has their horror stories with just about evry manufacturer. But Lee has been very good to me. I was haveing trouble with my Pro 1000, sent it back to them for repairs. And was expecting a bill when the service was done. But to my suprise I got the press back in less that two weeks and repairs were free of charge! I also managed to find their factory one time when I was in wisconsin working. No wonder their prices are reasonable. They have about three large steel buildings like Pole barns out in the middle of a cornfield. Talk about low overhead!

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I appriciate the input from everyone. Yes the rim is mostly gone.I was at the range today so I didn't have any time to fiddle with it. My cousin is having prostate surgery tomarrow and I'll be at the hospital tomarrow. I'll try to mess with it tomarrow afternoon or evening. If not, I'll put in a call to Hornady. I've heard their service department in top notch.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    OP-

These may be relevant to your interests. I was sticking a lot of .223 using 1 shot and Hornady dies. I think the One-shot is the critical x. I also developed a way to remove the stuck case with simple tools I had laying around.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...oading/50938-stuck_case_in_reloading_die.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e_stuck_case_from_reloding_die_pic_heavy.html

Thank you for this. I thought I was using enough lube on the cases. I was in a hurry last night trying to load for the range today. I'll take my lumps on this and will lube to beat all hell for the future. What I was able to load last night, I did shoot it well today. One thing I am going to do, I'm ordering another sizer die. Just in case/when this happens again.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Thank you for this. I thought I was using enough lube on the cases. I was in a hurry last night trying to load for the range today. I'll take my lumps on this and will lube to beat all hell for the future. What I was able to load last night, I did shoot it well today. One thing I am going to do, I'm ordering another sizer die. Just in case/when this happens again.

Always nice to have a spare. Also, I ditched the 1-shot in favor of some case sizing wax. Works a million times better. Even though you hands get a bit waxy from using it, I haven't stuck a case with it yet. Only issue withit so far has been that I've had a little too much case wax and dented the necks on a few cases.

gixer454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Logansport
    this is the main reason I only use lee dies anymore, a lot easier to get the case out.one way to try is to take the die out of the press. get a large enough socket that will line up with the die.drill and tap the case, or use a heavy duty wood screw. place a washer between the top of the socket and screw to support the screw.when you tighten the screw, it should back the case out enough to get ahold of it and remove.this is only a down and dirty method if you don't have a case remover and don't want to wait. Good luck.

If this does not make sense, I would sugget you google it and see if you can find a video of the technique. Its fairly simple.

Next time you are reloading, make sure you lube the bottom of the outside of the case well, this is the area that causes the cases to stick.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Let's take the brutal way out -

Go to Home Depot and buy yourself a 2 1/2"x3/8" hex bolt. Galvanized flat point, not a sink bolt.

Thread the die halfway into a single stage press and remove the decapping pin. Put the bolt into the die through the top threaded hole. Take a big hammer and.....

***WHACK*** (repeat)

Problem solved.

People forget that dies are made out of steel. A straight hit from a flat bottom bolt will remove the split, de-rimmed, etc case from your die. Spray the die with lube before you continue, but you'll be fine.

Problem solved.

Top Bottom