• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    I would say it depends on the volume of reloading you are planning to do. If you are like me and doing low volume a LEE hand trimmer is about as reliable (and simple) as they get. IIRC, less than $15 and your trimming for 1 cartridge and each additional cartridge will cost you about $5 for the new stem and case holder. Chuck it up in a battery drill and go to work.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Like said above if its just a hand full the Lee works ok, but after we got the RCBS power trimmer and the RCBS prep station Ill only use the Lee if i have a couple.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The RCDS trim pro is a great system, especially if you buy the three way cutters for each caliber. There is really quite a bit of set up to make perfect cuts every time you change calibers with the system.

The Lee system has no set up. the measurement is already built into the guide pin specific to each caliber. I spin it with am electric screwdriver so it is fast and easy. Not as perfect as the trim pro, but by the time you get a trim pro, shell plates and 3 way cutters, a couple $100 bills have disappeared, the Lee ssystem will get you going pretty cheap. Good Luck

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I just picked up a Giraud Case trimmer a few months ago on Ebay. After using this thing I don't know how I went so long without one. Expensive but worth every penny.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The RCDS trim pro is a great system, especially if you buy the three way cutters for each caliber. There is really quite a bit of set up to make perfect cuts every time you change calibers with the system.

The Lee system has no set up. the measurement is already built into the guide pin specific to each caliber. I spin it with am electric screwdriver so it is fast and easy. Not as perfect as the trim pro, but by the time you get a trim pro, shell plates and 3 way cutters, a couple $100 bills have disappeared, the Lee ssystem will get you going pretty cheap. Good Luck

I use the same cutter it comes with for every caliber
    Save 1 trimmed case and you set it off of that.
    The Lee pin works but after about 1000 .223 the pin wore down on mine and I had too replace it.
    The trim pro came with multiple shell plates
    Edited to add--
    With the trim pro and the case prep station you can put a case in the trimmer, move over to the prep station deburr . Doing it all at one sitting.

Last edited:

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I'll also recommend the Lee trimmers. Not that there aren't better or faster trimmers out there, but you said your just starting out so I would get the simplest, most reliable system out there and that is the Lee set up. "So easy a caveman can do it", and It also happens to be quite affordable.

You need to either get the cutter with the wooden ball on it, or do what I did and wrap tape around the standard one until it fits your hand nice. I would go ahead and get their 3 jaw chuck with the power driver attachment. That screw down shell holder doesn't always work to well.

It is true that after a while, the stem will wear and will have to be replaced. It seams to happen all at once, so I assume the stem is case hardened and once you finally get through the hard part they wear fast.

After you've reloaded for a while you might want a faster set up, but I still reload about 150 308 cases a week with lee trimmers. In fact I just did 100 a little bit ago. Trimming, deburrning the flash hole, chamfer inside/outside and deburring them took me right at an hour. I do this all while its still chucked in the cordless drill.

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I'll also recommend the Lee trimmers. Not that there aren't better or faster trimmers out there, but you said your just starting out so I would get the simplest, most reliable system out there and that is the Lee set up. "So easy a caveman can do it", and It also happens to be quite affordable.

You need to either get the cutter with the wooden ball on it, or do what I did and wrap tape around the standard one until it fits your hand nice. I would go ahead and get their 3 jaw chuck with the power driver attachment. That screw down shell holder doesn't always work to well.

It is true that after a while, the stem will wear and will have to be replaced. It seams to happen all at once, so I assume the stem is case hardened and once you finally get through the hard part they wear fast.

After you've reloaded for a while you might want a faster set up, but I still reload about 150 308 cases a week with lee trimmers. In fact I just did 100 a little bit ago. Trimming, deburrning the flash hole, chamfer inside/outside and deburring them took me right at an hour. I do this all while its still chucked in the cordless drill.

Yes-I picked up the lee setup last year. No doubt better (Faster)than my old Forester trimmers.

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    Just an update.

I emailed Lee about my case length trimmer pin wearing down. They replied in about 6 hours and told me I don't need to apply so much pressure, but they were more than happy to mail me a free replacement.

+1 for Lee

Top Bottom