• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    How can you tell what you wheel weights are made of? I can get a few buckets from a local wheel shop, but how do i know which can be used? Any help would be great. Also, what is a good price to pay for a 5 gallon bucket?

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    You will run into zinc and steal WW. Hand sorting is one option, the best option is to smelt at a temerature of 600 to 650 degrees. At those temps the zinc will not melt and simply float to the top of the smelt to be skimmed off with the rest of the scrap. I do sort out the stick-on WW as they are softer, just a little harder than pure lead, and handy for round ball. The zinc will be harder if tested with side cuts, they also react to muratic acid, most are marked "Zn".

The steel WW are of no concern as they just float and won't melt at smelting temperatures. Most are marked "Fe".

Be safe, use appropriate attire, cotton clothes and boots, gloves and eye protection. **** happens!

If you like PM me and we can get you through the process quickly and safely, I just did 700 lbs. last saturday, and happen to have all the zincers and steel WW in a bucket...maybe i can send email you some pics to help you.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Thanks JTB! Right now I am trying to collect all the lead I can. I have yet to obtain the equipment needed to smelt. I'll PM you when I get going. Again, much thanks on the advice.

jtb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Fully encourage you to try casting out and see if it is for you. Sometimes though for one reason or another it doesn't apeal to evey one. Go slow and don't buy up a bunch of stuff. You can do a pretty good job at casting with very few bucks without getting into the equipment race.

jim

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    Registered on castboolits today. I plan on starting with 45acp. Then, 38spl. We'll see how it goes. I found a second tire shop today that is willing to give me wheel weights.

Top Bottom