• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I have this Cattaraugus 225Q knife that my father brought back from the Pacific in WWII. He used it as a tool for years and for the past many years he just let it gather dust. Somewhere along the way, the leather discs close to the guard were lost, so he just wrapped some wire in their place. I know that these knives aren't that rare nor are they valuable. I am thinking of displaying it in a shadow box with a pilot survival knife from the Viet Nam era. My question is, does anyone know someone who can replace the leather discs? It would be ideal, if I could find someone in the local area.
    <br> <br><br>

Last edited:

jsn_mooney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    South Of Richmond
    You can do it, washers are available from Jantz, and there are several tutorials on the web showing how to do it. It's not that hard, you'll need to make a simple "press" out of a couple pieces of plate or hardwood and some allthread- plenty of info out there. Those 225Qs have a unique way the pommel comes off, there are 2 twisty nails holding the end cap on and then the other 2 twist in opposite directions if I remember right. I use elmers max between the washers and rough shape everything after it's set-up with a belt sander/ final sanding with paper or emery cloth. Beeswax melted into some mink oil is the old standby for the final finish.
    Don't be scared of it, do your research and work slowly, and when you're finished it will be something both you, and him would be proud of. I love those old knives, you can't get that kind of quality, or character at the local china-mart!
    Good Luck!

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    I'd leave it as is. If your father is still with you great, but some day he won't be and the wired up knife will be a lasting repair that he made. Besides the new discs will stick out against the blades patina. Find your dad's company/unit patch and shadow box that worthless piece of military history up. Just don't forget the priceless family history that goes with it. His grandkids will fight over it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just picked one of these up off ebay last night. Cool looking knives! The handle on it isn't missing any washers, but there are a couple that are in kind of rough shape. I may try that beeswax and mink oil treatment to help preserve it.

Top Bottom