• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • destroyer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    I've been wondering how is the market for cattle here in indiana? Where to sell for a lot of money and where to buy for cheap..
    :rolleyes:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    363   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have often though an enterprising INGOer who might free range/grass feed some little doggies could market halves and quarters here.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If there was oodles of money in cattle farming then farmers would be rich enough to pay someone else to do all that dirty work.....

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I have raised cattle for about 7 years now and I can tell you there is no place to buy beef cows for cheap right now. I work for a farmer that artificially inseminates cows so that helps me from having to buy and feed a bull. I also get all my hay for free since I work for him without getting paid. But I buy my grain and that cost me more then anything else. I buy about 1200 pounds of grain every 3 weeks at a cost of about $220. With the price of grain it cost me a lot to raise them so I have got rid of everything other then 2 cows a year to butcher for my family. By the time you feed a cow out for 16-18 months you will have about $1300-$1600 just in grain. Now the going rate for calves is $1.00-$1.20 a pound and market weight a couple weeks ago was $1.48 a pound. So if you buy a 500 pound calf at $1.10 a pound that's $550 for the calf then you raise it till it is 1500 pounds and sell it for $1.48 that's $2220. It cost you $550 to buy the calf and $1300 for grain plus if you buy hay you are looking at $45 for a round bale which you can go threw about 10 depending how much land you have that's $450. Total you have invested $2300 in a cow that you are going to sell for $2220. Now if you are a farmer you can get your grain for cheaper then you can make some money but I guarantee you that no little farmer is getting rich off there cattle.

destroyer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Wow. That is very informative :) I can get angus calfs for 350$ and discounts un feed since my dad has a lot of friends un the feed business. Since he has roosters for cock fights. And goes to tournaments a lot

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I've had enough. Between the talk of illegal machineguns, get rich quick schemes and illegal animal fights it is clear that you [strike]are[/strike] were here only to troll and stir the pot. Adios.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If my farming neighbours are any indication, then cattle is not a good venture. Most of the farms around me have packed it in and started raising hay on their fields that had cattle on them a few years ago. Just no money in it, I guess.

Top Bottom