• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Can I easily CC a 4" GP100? Has anyone else done this? It seems a bit large to CC, but I was just wondering. If you do/have CC'd a GP100, what holster would you recommend?

Farslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    I ordered a Simply Rugged pancake holster for my 6" GP100. The make them for the 4" as well. I haven't received mine yet, but I've read good things about them. There is 1 page review in the March/April 2011 edition of American Handgunner magazine.
    Sourdough Pancake

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    A lot of automatics have 3.5 to 4 inch barrels and are concealed quite easily. The really important factors for concealment are length of the grip, and then width, (in that order.) I've not concealed a 4" revolver personally, but I've known people who have.

Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the info. I just read the article. Did you order any extras on the holster? Once you get it, please let me know how you like it. I may just order one up myself.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I tried it a long time ago with a GP100 4". It wasn't very successful, mainly due to the width of the cylinder. Would probably be easier with a high-ride type of holster.

It might be possible if you have the right build for it.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would highly recommend not using the factory grips. I've carried S&W K-Frames with Secret Service grips from Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips They make excellent grips for revolvers. I personally haven't tried carrying my GP100 since I have the somewhat smaller K-Frame.

As for the simply rugged holster, I have one and frankly, I don't like it as well as the old Fletch I had from Galco. Lots of folks DO like them though. It is a well made holster, I just don't think it carries as tight to the body or as high as the Fletch.

Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I would highly recommend not using the factory grips. I've carried S&W K-Frames with Secret Service grips from Hand Gun Grips, Gun Handles, Pistol Grip from Eagle Grips - Eagle Grips Inc. - Gun Grips They make excellent grips for revolvers. I personally haven't tried carrying my GP100 since I have the somewhat smaller K-Frame.

As for the simply rugged holster, I have one and frankly, I don't like it as well as the old Fletch I had from Galco. Lots of folks DO like them though. It is a well made holster, I just don't think it carries as tight to the body or as high as the Fletch.

Thanks for the info Mospeada. I looked at the Galco holster and they look very nice as well. It looks like quite a few of the holsters are on backorder, so they must be doing something right.

1911 nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Nothwest In.
    I use a Strong Holster #929 for my Ruger Security Six 4" Heavy Barrel W/ Houge Rubber grips with no issues . It rides on a Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt . I have used this holster since '98 .

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers

Why do you recommend different grips?

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    In my younger days I have carried a Colt Trooper with a 6" barrell concealed. A good shoulder holster [emphasis on good] worked for me. It really was a royal PIA to pack around a firearm that large and heavy. Nowadays a Kahr usually accompanies me, IWB.

Top Bottom