CD/DVD Scratch Repair Question (Xbox Radial Scratches)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got an XBox360 game that was scratched when the console was jostled. It is a radial scratch, around the outside edge. Usually, this ruins the games, but this one was saved before the scratches went too deep. It almost plays, but gets hung up in a few spots.

Is there a good CD/DVD repair product that seems to work well? Or, is there a store that has a disc repair service that works well, such as Blockbuster?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to have to buy another copy of the game, if I can help it.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not too sure that it will work well with a game DVD, but I have managed to retrieve info off of badly scratched computer CD's using Brasso to buff out the scratches. If it's a big one this won't work, but smaller ones can be made to disappear.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Not too sure that it will work well with a game DVD, but I have managed to retrieve info off of badly scratched computer CD's using Brasso to buff out the scratches. If it's a big one this won't work, but smaller ones can be made to disappear.

These are pretty light. Where do you find Brasso?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a device, can't remember the name offhand, but you clamp the disk in, put some snot on it, and the little wheel spins as you turn the crank, and the disk turns around. It polishes out the scratches. I'll see if I can find the name. I've needed it a couple of times and it works. Saves about anything short of a crack.

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    In this case, I think Google might be your best bet. I searched "cd scrtch removal" and found a bunch of web pages and videos- someone even recommended bananas.. IDK.. Anyway, good luck

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    GameStop, PlayNTrade, Hastings or any of those kinds of places should be able to tell you what to use. They may even be able to fix the discs. I know our local Hastings sells something for it & I imagine the other places do too. Just call them before driving there to find out. Years ago we bought some cd player looking thing at WalMart to clean & fix CD's. It worked on light scratches but didn't do much for the bigger ones.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    load the game to the HD. Then the disc only spins to verify what game it is.

Also, if you live near huntington, the collectors box downtown fixes discs for $5. They use the expensive resurfacer. Removed on hell of a scratch from blackops for me.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I have a device, can't remember the name offhand, but you clamp the disk in, put some snot on it, and the little wheel spins as you turn the crank, and the disk turns around. It polishes out the scratches. I'll see if I can find the name. I've needed it a couple of times and it works. Saves about anything short of a crack.

Disc Doctor and I've had 2 that were complete crap. I tried one when they first came out and it actually made the disc much worse. Ended up throwing it out. Got one a couple years later as it said it was improved and it was just as bad as the first one I had. Either I got really unlucky or you got lucky. Oddly enough, I had better luck using a whitening tooth paste to lightly buff the disc (tried it on a cd-r that was scratched really bad and it started playing some).

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've got an XBox360 game that was scratched when the console was jostled. It is a radial scratch, around the outside edge. Usually, this ruins the games, but this one was saved before the scratches went too deep. It almost plays, but gets hung up in a few spots.

Is there a good CD/DVD repair product that seems to work well? Or, is there a store that has a disc repair service that works well, such as Blockbuster?

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to have to buy another copy of the game, if I can help it.

Just load the game onto your xbox, that they when it does finally get too messed up, you'll still be able to play it. The xbox will just read the serial # from the disc and the game will be played from the hard drive. This is better on your xbox anyway.

BTW, of all of the crap I have tried to use to fix discs, I'd say tooth paste works as good if not better than disc repair goop.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Disc Doctor and I've had 2 that were complete crap. I tried one when they first came out and it actually made the disc much worse. Ended up throwing it out. Got one a couple years later as it said it was improved and it was just as bad as the first one I had. Either I got really unlucky or you got lucky. Oddly enough, I had better luck using a whitening tooth paste to lightly buff the disc (tried it on a cd-r that was scratched really bad and it started playing some).

Yeah, that was the one. Wow, it's done me just fine, but that was just some minor stuff. I'm pretty strict on maintenance, though.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I took it to Family Video, and for 2 bucks, they put it into their machine. It probably removed 80 or 85% of the scratches. The game goes much further before giving me the dirty disc message. I'm going to take it back over and have them run it again. In the mean time, I'll try to clear out enough of the hard drive to install it from another identical one that I borrow from a buddy.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll let you know if it improves. I'm not sure how thick the surface is, but I think it isn't far from completely removing the scratches. I just hope it is not that far from removing the surface. If the HD loading works, then it will probably be fine.

Top Bottom