• ...and so much more!
  • unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Hello all,

I've been noticing a few weird things going on with the heat in my home. First, it doesn't seem like the fan is turning off. Even when I turn the thermostat off it still blows. Second, I hear clicking like it's trying to ignite, but when it's on the pilot never goes out. Third, when I turn it on from a dead stop, it takes forever to light, and sometimes I can feel a woosh when it does finally light, even standing across the room. Should I be concerned?

Thanks
    Pilot

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    first all gas forced air? How old? yes be concerned . The fan may run all the time because newer furnaces will make the fan run all the time if your not heating .. does the temperature in your house ever reach the set point? Does the furnace have a logic board that will flash codes on a LED? Really need more info.. Just many reasons and not knowing what you have , there are several possibilities..

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    If your fan is set in the "On" position rather than the "Auto" position on your thermostat it is normal for it to run continuously. It would help to know a little more info on the age,make and efficiency rating of your unit. Sounds like you have a delayed ignition problem which is often caused by a dirty flame sensor. When was the last time the unit was cleaned or serviced?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The fan will run when the heat exchanger is at a certain temperature whether the flame is on or not. This is because there is still heat in it and the blower will run until it has started to cool down. No sense letting the heat go to waste. If the fan is running all the time...first thing, check the thermostat to see if the fan is set to "auto" or "on". It should be on "auto".

As to the clicking, if your furnace lights by electronic ignitor, it may click several more times after the furnace is lit. Normally, it will click a certain number of times regardless whether the furnace lit on the first click. If it keeps clicking the whole time the furnace is on, there is a problem.

But I'm confused about "the pilot never goes out". If you have a standing pilot light, it should never go out. In that case, the clicking is the gas valve opening. Maybe I'm not understanding.

When the burner lights, you may hear a woosh, but it sounds to me like your burner is dirty and needs a good cleaning. If I were you I'd have an HVAC guy come out and give it a good cleaning and operational check.

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    The fan is set to auto on the thermostat. The house does reach set temps. It doesn't have a logic board with LEDs that I can see. The sticker on the front says it was made by janitrol. When I bought the house, the inspector said the unit was about 12yrs old. I know the burner is supposed to make a whooshing sound when it lights, what is concerning is that sometimes I can feel the whooshing, like a concussive wave. The clicking continues the whole time the furnace is on, but only after the flame is lit. I wish I could be more descriptive, but I'm not very good with HVAC. I'd take a car any day.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    The fan will run when the heat exchanger is at a certain temperature whether the flame is on or not. This is because there is still heat in it and the blower will run until it has started to cool down.

Only when the furnace is equipped with an old style fan/limit control.

Modern furnaces have fan controls built into the circuit boards. The circuit board allows a set time for fan delay on/off. Normally 30-45 sec on delay with a 90-120-150-180 sec off delay. No matter how warm the HX is, the blower is going to shut off after the time delay. Unless, a limit is open.

Pilot going out... spark to pilot ignition system. ;)

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    First, it doesn't seem like the fan is turning off. Even when I turn the thermostat off it still blows. Second, I hear clicking like it's trying to ignite, but when it's on the pilot never goes out. Third, when I turn it on from a dead stop, it takes forever to light, and sometimes I can feel a woosh when it does finally light, even standing across the room. Should I be concerned?

Definately

It doesn't have a logic board with LEDs that I can see. The sticker on the front says it was made by janitrol. When I bought the house, the inspector said the unit was about 12yrs old. I know the burner is supposed to make a whooshing sound when it lights, what is concerning is that sometimes I can feel the whooshing, like a concussive wave. The clicking continues the whole time the furnace is on, but only after the flame is lit.

When did you buy the house? 12 Y/O Janitrol, with a pilot? :scratch: Happen to have a model number for this monster?

When's the last time you had the furnace cleaned and the heat exchanger checked?

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sig-guy has this covered.
    Yes, get it looked at. You are way outside my travel range so call someone local as the delayed ignition alone is to be of concern.
    Bite the bullet......make the call.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    definitely.. sounds older.. does it have a draft inducer motor.. that will give us a idea how old, none the less what ever it has , delayed ignition is bad.. If you cant get a tech out there right away..
    May be a simple clean. Do you have a shop vac? Look in where the burners are and see if its dirty, rust is problem in older furnaces. wont hurt to sweep out with a crevice tool.. in between the burners should be done.. afterwards compressed air to blow out in and around the burners orfices and the carry over tubes that light the other burners. . Pictures would help. Hope this all helps.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Sounds like post ignition, and comes from rust and or blocked burner build up gas ignition. Will be a dangerous issue if the flames roll out, possibly cracked heat exchanger. Call for Service, now! Keep all the covers on to keep flames contained. Lower your Tstat, let Service it check out.

Top Bottom