• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    well I had nothing else to go on other than several people saying use windex.

do you have a degree in chemistry or something? Or did you just stay in a Holiday Inn last night?

also, since a lot of water is hard to come by at the range, especially hot or boiling water, is there anything you'd recommend as a temporary measure for preventing corrosion before a thorough cleaning can be accomplished?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    No, no degree in Chemistry.

I've just been doing my homework in the subject, actually.

Like most people, I like to be correct. And I like to research stuff. And when things seem "off", to me, I look into it.

-J-

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Ok so I went to Bradis and picked one up today! I'm on delay as usual so it'll be a couple days till I bring her home. I got the nicest Hex Reciever model I saw and paid $149. From what I've read these are pre-WWII models and stronger/more desirable and made better than the war produced rifles. I figured I'd spend the extra $30 and get a nicer one. Mine is dated 1928. Can't wait to shoot the thing, thanks for all the advice on ammo! Any advice on cleaning the grease off? I've heard you can just put em in the bathtub with hot water? :ar15:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    No, no degree in Chemistry.

I've just been doing my homework in the subject, actually.

Like most people, I like to be correct. And I like to research stuff. And when things seem "off", to me, I look into it.

-J-
    Well I hate chemistry, and I hate homework.

I just assumed it must work pretty well for everyone to recommend it.

zipper89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Does anyone have one of these? These are on Buds for $99 and I think I saw the same ones at Bradis today. Just wondering if they're worth picking up or not? Really cheap Russian long rifle. Are they customizable? Is ammo expensive? Any input is appreciated. Thanks:ar15:
    CIVI Ammo Runs about 10.50 for so rounds at big R. U can order from AIMSurplus 440 rnds for 77.95 and u can do all tactical with the nugaunt. YouTube - Customized "Tactical" Mosin Nagant

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    CIVI Ammo Runs about 10.50 for so rounds at big R. U can order from AIMSurplus 440 rnds for 77.95 and u can do all tactical with the nugaunt. YouTube - Customized "Tactical" Mosin Nagant
    You want a nice tactical nagant thats not over budget check out this guy.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCX5zj6zvtM"]YouTube - "Mosin-Nagant Sledgehammer Drill" by Buggetnuster[/ame]

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    I love the P/U (xmas_asn),I have a P/U and a P/E. Thay are from J&G, but thay are great. When I bought my first Mosin I was the one of all my freinds. All of them had 303's and Mausers, and now I have 14 Mosins.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I understand!

And it "works" because windex is mostly water. It's the water that works.

-J-

What Indy_Guy_77 said further up is dead on. Windex is about 1% ammonia, the rest is water, a bit of soap, and some coloring. To be exact, KCl is 144 times more soluble in water than ammonia. If anything, the soap in Windex does more than the ammonia by reducing the surface tension of the water so it can get into the tiny crevices of the metal easier. Any water, even room temperature will work, just have to be sure to dry your barrel afterwards. Hot water just heats the metal and dries quicker. Not a chemist, but I have taken a few college level chemistry courses and have also done a bunch of hands-on testing.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Ok so I went to Bradis and picked one up today! I'm on delay as usual so it'll be a couple days till I bring her home. I got the nicest Hex Reciever model I saw and paid $149. From what I've read these are pre-WWII models and stronger/more desirable and made better than the war produced rifles. I figured I'd spend the extra $30 and get a nicer one. Mine is dated 1928. Can't wait to shoot the thing, thanks for all the advice on ammo! Any advice on cleaning the grease off? I've heard you can just put em in the bathtub with hot water? :ar15:

Best way of cleaning the metal is using solvent, such as mineral spirits. I use that, along with carb cleaner and/or WD40, all work just fine.

Top Bottom