• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have a two stroke chainsaw that won't start. It has less than 4 or 5 hours on it. It is about 4 years old, and has sat unused for about two. I can not get the bulb to prime. I have pressed it a hundred times over the last few days. I have also choked and cranked it, half choked and cranked, no choke and crack. Yes I did make sure it was not in the off position. Any suggestions before I take it off to the small engine shop?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Sometimes it takes a lot of cranks, and yes, you can flood it. I've never had a two cycle engine take that many times to start, a chainsaw or a trimmer or whatever, but keep at it; just don't necessarily keep feeding it more fuel. If it's flooded, give it a rest and try later. Pull the plug and let it evaporate if necessary.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    My first guess would be a gummed up carburetor, maybe blockage at the fuel pump or both. I'd provide the details to your local repair shop and get an estimate before taking it in.
    Carb. rebuild kits are cheap and easy to do yourself with basic tools.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Have you put fresh gas/oil in it? I've had the same problem and I've used SeaFoam to help clean the carbs out. Works great on small engines and even on my motorcycle. Make sure the plug is clean also... sometimes there is some surface rust on the flywheel/magneto and your getting a weak spark.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I did put fresh gas and oil in it. The primer bulb is dry as a whistle. My first inclination is to think that it is gummed up, but I don't have a ton of experience in these matters.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    If you can't get it primed you are not getting gas to the carb.
    No matter how much you yank and crank you won't get anywhere.

Pull the tank and the lines and see if they are gummed.
    The passages on carbs are VERY small and easily clogged. :twocents:

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    If you left some gas in the tank before you stored it, then I would say that the fuel filter is clogged. It should be in the gas tank. Use a small length of solid wire with a hook bent in it to fish the fuel line/filter out.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Check for a crack in the fuel line before the primer bulb or the primer bulb could be cracked.
    Try applying air pressure to the fuel tank and see if you can get fuel flow thru the bulb that way.

+2 on seafoam here, use it all long term stored gas.

Last edited:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I ran into this issue with a 2 cycle weed eater. the fuel lines get dry and cracked, and wont let the fuel get to the carb. I fixed the problem with a few dollars worth of hose from the local True Value. If you are not mechanically inclined, and your local shop is pretty reasonable, take it in and have them go through it. It shouldnt be very expensive for the repair and basic tune up, and if the issue isnt fixed, it will be on them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom