• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    I have a CM9 and, for the most part, I love it. The only issue that concerns me is not being able to reliably chamber the first round by slingshotting the slide. The manual says to lock the slide back and chamber the first round by pushing down on the slide lock to release the slide. "Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery."

I've got 300 rounds through the gun so far with zero problems (if you don't count not being able to slingshot the slide). My experience with trying to slingshot the slide is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Two questions. Why exactly doesn't the slingshot method work with the Kahr's? And how are you supposed to clear a malfunction? If you can't slingshot the slide, you can't tap, rack, bang, can you? (ok that's three questions)

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    If it doesn't go into battery, tap the slide forward with your hand to send it home...or get a different gun that works the first time

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a CM9 and, for the most part, I love it. The only issue that concerns me is not being able to reliably chamber the first round by slingshotting the slide. The manual says to lock the slide back and chamber the first round by pushing down on the slide lock to release the slide. "Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery."

I've got 300 rounds through the gun so far with zero problems (if you don't count not being able to slingshot the slide). My experience with trying to slingshot the slide is sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Two questions. Why exactly doesn't the slingshot method work with the Kahr's? And how are you supposed to clear a malfunction? If you can't slingshot the slide, you can't tap, rack, bang, can you? (ok that's three questions)

Doesn't make much sense... the slide is a bit further forward when on the slide stop than when held fully rearward, therefore it has less potential energy. :dunno:

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I stand corrected..the mag spring is pushing the follower up, and you still have pressure...LOL

If this were true your gun would go into slide lock every time you fired. The pressure upwards from the rounds/ mag spring is negligible.

The most likely reason is energy lost due to your hand being on the slide when you "sling shot" the gun and the slide begins to move back into battery.

Power stroking the slide backward, hard, and letting go instantly (before the slide begins to return to battery) works better. I taught my mother do to this on her Kahr PM9 and she's never had this problem.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    ^^^

I agree with the above. Make sure you "slingshot" correctly and you'll rarely have issues, even with a Kahr.

Firm hold on slide with off hand and then drive the gun forward with the strong hand. Keep your off hand still and let the slide be literally ripped out of your grasp.

This ensures you're not accidentally interfering with the slide travel.

ctb1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Aaron and Indy Guy: Your advice makes sense to me. I can't see why the slingshot would be any different than dropping the slide lock unless you are somehow slowing the start of the forward movement. I'm going to work on this some more paying close attention to the release. And as I said before, this is the only concern I have with the CM9. It feels good, shoots good, looks good and has been completely reliable as long as I drop the slide lock on the first round.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Aaron and Indy Guy: Your advice makes sense to me. I can't see why the slingshot would be any different than dropping the slide lock unless you are somehow slowing the start of the forward movement. I'm going to work on this some more paying close attention to the release. And as I said before, this is the only concern I have with the CM9. It feels good, shoots good, looks good and has been completely reliable as long as I drop the slide lock on the first round.

And there's the rub!

All said and done, your gun just might not do it until it's well "broken in". but it's a good technique to learn/use anyhow.

-J-

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a PM9 and it took about 500 flawless rounds before I could slingshot it. You can save some ammo and rack it a bunch of times without any ammo in it to speed up the break-in process.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    The problem people have using the slingshot method on the kahr is that they tend to ride the slide forward a bit rather than retracting it fully due to the very strong recoil springs in that tiny pistol. Proper technique is paramount. Here's Jeff teaching the proper loading technique on The Armory Channel. I linked to the segment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlpO2ZGaQ70#t=7m10s

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    My experience is like mudcat's and armedprogrammer. I've never had a problem chambering a round by racking the slide. I did have a couple FTF during the first 200 rnd break-in.

Top Bottom