Charge controllers for 12v batteries used to run small electronics?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Knowing the inherent inefficiencies in converting back and forth between DC/AC, I'm looking at a method to stretch my backup batteries for one specific use case. Using a standard UPS to drive my main network devices that are predominantly native 12vdc powered via wall warts. The big UPS says I'll get an hour of runtime. But that includes tons of wasted electrons due to heat in the conversion process.

I know I can get HOURS (if not days) out of native 12vdc batteries to power devices that also have 12vdc inputs. And UPS units (at least small ones) all use 12vdc sealed batteries. But typically there is no way to directly tap that battery. You have to grab the voltage on the other side of the inverter after it has wasted a ton of electrons due to heat and converted it to 120vac, which the brick then converts it back down to 12vdc. So I want to cut out the middle man.

So if I wanted to run a handful of 12vdc devices off a 12vdc battery bank, what would I need to constantly keep those batteries topped off from utility voltage? We arent talking huge loads. Just a router, cable modem, AP, etc.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Amazon product ASIN B0746F3M9Y
    I also have the Ridgid 18v battery to 5v USB port that came in handy for charging headlamps and phones this last week(2.5 days no power). Even with two generators(one just runs the deep well pump) keeping everything the way I wanted was difficult. I think it is time to finally break down with a whole house system. What I had worked,but cooking and hot water were still a pita.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Amazon product ASIN B0746F3M9Y
    I also have the Ridgid 18v battery to 5v USB port that came in handy for charging headlamps and phones this last week(2.5 days no power). Even with two generators(one just runs the deep well pump) keeping everything the way I wanted was difficult. I think it is time to finally break down with a whole house system. What I had worked,but cooking and hot water were still a pita.
    Thanks. I have that covered with my Ryobi batteries and personal devices like ipads. But I'm thinking of putting in a 100ah or more for some static network gear.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Something like this might work.
    Yes, something like this. Sounds like the same idea us motorcycle riders use for our batteries. Plug it in every time we get back to the garage. Just make sure the charger is matched to the type of battery you are going to use of course.
    Oh, and maintain your connections.

Reactions: Leo

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes, something like this. Sounds like the same idea us motorcycle riders use for our batteries. Plug it in every time we get back to the garage. Just make sure the charger is matched to the type of battery you are going to use of course.
    Oh, and maintain your connections.
    I use one for our diesel truck in the Winter.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Red arc https://www.redarcelectronics.com/us/power

They are extremely proud of what they make. Look at what they do on the overlanding route and adjust to your needs and pocketbook.

Lots of the items are available from many other manufacturers at a fraction of the cost. You will find that locally 12 v DC is great as long as distances are short or draw is low. A charge controller and a special battery with management interface and a couple of options to charge AC/solar/DC inputs offer great choices if the power is off.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Bear with me, it's been a minute on the network stuff....

The UPS holds the power sensing and switching logic to flip over to the batteries when commercial power is lost, right? But they don't have their own charger while commercial power is on?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Bear with me, it's been a minute on the network stuff....

The UPS holds the power sensing and switching logic to flip over to the batteries when commercial power is lost, right? But they don't have their own charger while commercial power is on?
    Yes.

And when they switch over, they waste a ton of battery power to produce 120v AC which will be turned back into 12v DC via the power bricks.

I want to run those 12v DC devices natively so I don’t waste energy and get exponentially longer runtime.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom